New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Can't copy file from my friend's mac to my external harddrve

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

walah

walah is on a distinguished road

I have Seagate 500GB ultra portable Harddrive. I bought this because the description said that I can transfer files from mac to XP without reformatting. However, when I tried to move my friend's file to my external hard drive it didn't work (btw his computer is Mac Air and Mine is Mac Pro). I installed stuff that Seagate told me to make the transfer work for both mac and PC. However, Mac to Mac doesn't work. It doesn't let me to move file...

Can anyone help me?
QUOTE Thanks
Mooseknuckles

Mooseknuckles is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 15" Iphone4

This happened to me as well..I have the 1tb seagate, i had to change format to MS-DOS(FAT32) and change sharing permissions to read and write. Im not a computer pro by any means, but this did work for me.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

What filesystem is the drive formatted as? If you're unsure, right click the drive > Get Info > Format.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
walah

NTFS, they told me to use this
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

NTFS is read only which is the reason you can not transfer files from Mac to Mac. Reformat the drive as Mac OS Extended Journaled and then you'll be able to transfer Mac to Mac. To go from Mac to PC or vice versa, FAT-32 or exFAT will work. (exFAT is preferred because of the file size limit of 4 GB imposed by FAT-32)
QUOTE Thanks
walah

SO, if i change to FAT, i can read and write on mac to mac and mac to pc?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Yes, but please note that FAT-32 has a file size limit of 4 GB which is why exFAT would be better since large files can be transferred.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Yes, but please note that FAT-32 has a file size limit of 4 GB which is why exFAT would be better since large files can be transferred.
Is there some reason they don't just call exFAT "thin?"
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Groan...

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to retain view settings for folders in Finder | File Sharing or Dropbox? »