Thread: Spinning gears

Spinning gears

Spinning gears
    So i bought my mac book pro less than a year ago, with no problems , then i updated to lion. Thats when my problems started. Whenever i try to update lion it updates then sticks on the white apple logo with the spinning gears. So i try to restart it, nothing, then i try to reset pram, nothing, hardware check, nothing. So i end up having to do a restore. So i've had to restore 5 times in about 8 months. So i wanna know is it normal for me to have restore so often ? Its gotten so bad i wont shut down my mbp anymore.

Spinning gears
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    No, that's not normal. Boot to your Lion Recovery partition by holding down the option key and selecting Recovery. Choose Disk Utility and do a verify - repair on the OS X partition. Let's see what it reports back. You might also want to do a repair permissions while you're at it.

Spinning gears

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    No, that's not normal. Boot to your Lion Recovery partition by holding down the option key and selecting Recovery. Choose Disk Utility and do a verify - repair on the OS X partition. Let's see what it reports back. You might also want to do a repair permissions while you're at it.
    Hey thanks for that advice. Actually the last time it happen, thats what i did. And the permissons were bad, but after repairing i restarted and no difference. Also about 2 weeks ago i brought it to the mac store and they did the same with the permissons. What would be causing this?

Spinning gears
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    It sounds like a failing hard drive or one that is beginning to show signs of failure. Download the free trial of "Smart Utility for the Mac" from here. Run it and let us know the details of what it says about the drive.

Spinning gears

hey friend, i download and installed software. It just shows passed, no errors found, temp. 23 degrees c.
    On a side note why when i download software, any software outside the appstore, i download and then unzip the file nothing happens. I then have to go to finder and search for the app? By the way thanks for the help.

Thread Information