New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Brand New Macbook Pro and Lion don't work? Help?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

KayboSasuke

KayboSasuke is on a distinguished road

I just purchased a brand new Macbook Pro last week and it came preinstalled with Lion. Now today I was gonna start setting things up on it so that I can start using it for class and it's starts operating like a ten year old piece of junk. I also own a Mac Mini that I've had for three years that has Snow Leopard on it and I have no complaints, it works like a charm.

The details of my Macbook Pro issues are: Freezing. Without having installed anything at all, a totally brand spanking new Macbook Pro, it's freezing solid with the simplest tasks. I tried to open a text file with text edit, it froze. Beyond having the option to even force quit. I had to manually shut it down and restart it. Then I thought maybe it was just a weird fluke and tried using it again. I plugged it into the wall to get power off the battery and the icon didn't show the electricity symbol in the top right corner like I was expecting, so I clicked on it to see the drop down menu and see stats on it, and it froze solid again. No force quit available, but in this case it wouldn't matter anyway because the only thing open was Finder.

I'm sooo confused how this is even possible, an expensive Mac laptop, brand new, operating like an abused Windows 95 almost two decades old. Is the problem with the new Lion operating system? (I've heard stories) Should I be looking into getting my money back?? Is it even possible to downgrade to Snow Leopard?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

If you only purchased this MacBook Pro a week ago...the answer is simple...take it back to the store & have them check it out. If you're not near an Apple Store...then call the Apple 800 number...and ship it to them for analysis.

You could have a defective computer in some way...and if so...no amount of possible troubleshooting on our part will fix things.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

+1 to what Nick said. Take it back or ship it back, either way.....
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And demand a replacement free of charge and shipping costs!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
KayboSasuke

Thanks everyone, first thing I'm doing is reformatting it and reinstalling Lion just to be sure, but of course if the issue persists, I will send it back without hesitation.
QUOTE Thanks
KayboSasuke

Update: It just failed the Lion install. Clearly there's a huge issue and I was the one who had to get THAT laptop...
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Hopefully it's something dumb and relatively minor like a defective HD. Sorry you got a lemon there, I guess the only good news is that we don't hear about many like that here (and we would if it were a common issue).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Users (mail) question | Cs 3 and new os »