New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Restoring To Factory Settings?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Peakoverload

Peakoverload has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 3.1Ghz 16GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 4.

I'm about to sell my old iMac (2006 model) and want to reset it back to factory settings like it was before it was switched on for the first time so that it's new owner can set it up the way they want.

I know I can do this from the install disc but when I bought this Mac it came with Tiger installed. Since then I've upgraded to Leopard and Snow Leopard but always as upgrades and not fresh installs. Obviously I want to sell it with Snow Leopard installed but can do I do this since the license I have for SL is as an upgrade i.e. will it need me to either provide a license for Leopard or have Leopard or Tiger installed first?

Also, obviously I'd sell the Mac with the Snow Leopard disc but do I also need to include the Leopard and Tiger discs as this is an upgrade license? I'm just not sure if I still have them or not.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

You don't have the right to sell that Mac with Snow Leopard installed unless you transfer the license along with the install discs to the new owner. Besides, if the new owner finds himself needing to reinstall Snow Leopard, he's going to find himself in a pickle.

That said, you can simply install Snow Leopard. No need to install a prior OS first. At the bare minimum, you should include the original install discs that came with the Mac. They are only usable on that specific model anyway, and have tools like the Apple Hardware Test that are not available otherwise. To be true to your licensing agreements, you should include the discs for Snow Leopard and, if SL was the "upgrade" priced version, the discs for Leopard as well.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Peakoverload

Peakoverload has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 3.1Ghz 16GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 4.

Cheers for that. Well I've found the Tiger disc, still can't find the Leopard one although I'm sure I must have it somewhere.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« "Recovering" from a presentation | system preference unresponsive »