New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Mac Book Bot problem with Comcast

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Realest99

Realest99 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" 2.2ghz MacBook, 120GB HD, 4GB ram, 30GB Ipod Video, 16GB Iphone 5 ;-)

I get this prompt on certain pages: AUPM Service Notice

I have comcast. I use a netgear router via ethernet. They told me the above message is a bot in my Mac.

Does anyone know what the problem is? I ran Norton and nothing came up but some error files. I also did a MacScan and that didn't fix the problem.

Any help will be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Realest99

Mac Specs: 13" 2.2ghz MacBook, 120GB HD, 4GB ram, 30GB Ipod Video, 16GB Iphone 5 ;-)

Sometimes I get a "Connection Reset Prompt"
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Other folks who have Comcast as their ISP have reported the same message from them. There are no viruses in the wild that can infect OS X, however, there are several forms of malware that can. As long as you stay away from certain sites that promulgate piracy and torrent downloads, you won't have to worry about those either. You can probably ignore those warnings about a BOT from Comcast but if you wish, use an AV scanner that does not use resources or cause problems. Do not use Norton, Kaspersky, or McAfee. I recommend downloading the free ClamXav 2 and use it instead.
QUOTE Thanks
Realest99

I've tried the ClamX for my mac book but for some reason it won't load. It trys to get the upgrades then fails and then crashes. Not sure whats wrong with that. They need to fix some bugs.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Probably not. What's much more likely happening is that ClamAV can't work with Norton installed on there.

Remove Norton **according to the company's uninstall instructions** (very very important!) and THEN try ClamAV if you still feel like you need it (hint: you don't).
QUOTE Thanks
Realest99

Ok guys I got to clean out that bot in my Mac.

I got my ClamX to work finally and that fixed the problem.

Norton and Mac Scan couldn't.
QUOTE Thanks
karenleighburto

karenleighburto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realest99 View Post
I get this prompt on certain pages: AUPM Service Notice

I have comcast. I use a netgear router via ethernet. They told me the above message is a bot in my Mac.

Does anyone know what the problem is? I ran Norton and nothing came up but some error files. I also did a MacScan and that didn't fix the problem.

Any help will be appreciated.
I spent 6+ hours dealing with comcast over this issue tonight - i want to point out (mainly for all the comast tech support morons who google the error and find this thread) - IT IS NOT A VIRUS, BOT, MALWARE!!!!!

THis error is actually caused becuase you are close to exceeding your bandwidth limit for the month. THere is supposed to be a link to "close" the notice (but its not working).

my first phone call to comcast (over an hour) the tech swore i had a virus - ok I spent $97 in ADDITIONAL virus/malware/botchecker software - nope I'm, clean as I knew i would be.

my second phone call (another hour and a half) tech said i was over my bandwidth (not true) and that in order to get rid of the notice i had to upgrade to business class service (again NOT true) if you go over they simply charge you $10 per 50 gigs.

Chat #1 - nearly 2 hours and finally she managed to make it go away for about 45 minutes, then it came back. Couldn't explain what happened or why.

Chat #2 useless hour of my life - this one was just simply a moron

Chat # 3 very nice, decently helpful, verified I have NOT exceeded bandwidth, and also verified no bots, virus', or malware present on my network - clueless as to why this was happening, did get it to go away for 7 minutes. Finally gave me a number for Comcast Security Assurance (because of the bandwidth info i had gotten earlier).

Phone Call #4 WRITE THIS NUMBER DOWN 1-856-324-2025 - in 2 minutes of explaining - this woman fixed the problem. its literally a click of a button that ALL phone and chat techs can do to remove the bandwidth warning...

if something like this happens again I know who i am calling first, certainly not the idiots at tech support!

COMCAST PEOPLE - BE SURE TO READ THIS!!!!! and stop quoting this post... it is NOT a bot, virus, or malware!
QUOTE Thanks
stephdomo

stephdomo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenleighburto View Post
I spent 6+ hours dealing with comcast over this issue tonight - i want to point out (mainly for all the comast tech support morons who google the error and find this thread) - IT IS NOT A VIRUS, BOT, MALWARE!!!!!

THis error is actually caused becuase you are close to exceeding your bandwidth limit for the month. THere is supposed to be a link to "close" the notice (but its not working).

my first phone call to comcast (over an hour) the tech swore i had a virus - ok I spent $97 in ADDITIONAL virus/malware/botchecker software - nope I'm, clean as I knew i would be.

my second phone call (another hour and a half) tech said i was over my bandwidth (not true) and that in order to get rid of the notice i had to upgrade to business class service (again NOT true) if you go over they simply charge you $10 per 50 gigs.

Chat #1 - nearly 2 hours and finally she managed to make it go away for about 45 minutes, then it came back. Couldn't explain what happened or why.

Chat # 3 very nice, decently helpful, verified I have NOT exceeded bandwidth, and also verified no bots, virus', or malware present on my network - clueless as to why this was happening, did get it to go away for 7 minutes. Finally gave me a number for Comcast Security Assurance (because of the bandwidth info i had gotten earlier).

Phone Call #4 WRITE THIS NUMBER DOWN 1-856-324-2025 - in 2 minutes of explaining - this woman fixed the problem. its literally a click of a button that ALL phone and chat techs can do to remove the bandwidth warning...

if something like this happens again I know who i am calling first, certainly not the idiots at tech support!

COMCAST PEOPLE - BE SURE TO READ THIS!!!!! and stop quoting this post... it is NOT a bot, virus, or malware!
You have no idea how happy I was to read your post! This problem happened on our PC laptops and my iMac, and it's been with us the past 1-2 weeks. Got the runaround from Comcast once yesterday and twice today. I searched this AUPM message and finally found your thread. My husband called the number and like you said, fixed in a couple minutes.

Really tempted to switch cable/internet providers, but your post bought Comcast another chance. Hope Comcast gets it's act together, spreading itself too thin.

Thanks again,
stephdomo
QUOTE Thanks
Lateias

Lateias is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenleighburto View Post

I went through some kind of crap before I ran into this post!!! Thanks for your contribution!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac mail (version 6.2) text doesn't show in windows outlook | Win 7 on Mavricks Boot Camp »