"Recovering" from a presentation
    I'm using a MacBook Pro (about two years old), running the latest version of OSX Lion.

I frequently connect to a projector to run PowerPoint presentations. Recently, my computer has had problems "recovering" after this--the computer won't boot up properly afterwards and I might have to restart two or three times to get it to start working correctly.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem? Any suggested fixes? Or is it just time to get a new computer?

2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    Well, I don't know that frequent projector use would cause any OS issues like that... but have you tried any basic maintenance on your MBP?

Did you verify and repair permissions using Disk Utility? - Try doing this using Lion Recovery (restart and hold Command+R)

I would suggest at least repairing permissions.

Have you run Apple Hardware Test?
    To use Apple Hardware Test:
    1 Disconnect all external devices from your computer except the power adapter. If you have an Ethernet cable connected, disconnect it.
    2 Restart your MacBook Pro while holding down the D key.
    3 When the Apple Hardware Test chooser screen appears, select the language you want
    to use.
    4 Press the Return key or click the right arrow button.
    5 When the Apple Hardware Test main screen appears (after about 45 seconds), follow
    the onscreen instructions.
    6 If Apple Hardware Test detects a problem, it displays an error code. Make a note of the error code before pursuing support options. If Apple Hardware Test doesn’t detect a hardware failure, the problem may be software related.
    If this procedure doesn’t work, you can insert the Applications Install DVD and hold down the D key to use Apple Hardware Test.

Depending on your particular problems, a PRAM reset or an SMC reset might also be necessary.

PRAM reset: Press the power () button and immediately hold down the Command (x), Option, P, and R keys simultaneously until you hear the startup sound a second time. This resets the parameter RAM (PRAM).

SMC reset
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

Thanks for this information! I'll try out your recommendations step by step, see if they resolve the problem, and then reply further. Thanks again!

Thread Information