New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Need some help installing Leopard on G4 iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chris_B

Chris_B is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13"

I'm trying to help a guy get Leopard installed onto his G4 iMac. It's the 1.0Ghz 17" version with 1.25GB RAM.

The install on the HDD at the moment is borked, it's 10.2.8. It won't open any DMG files, basically says "The application cannot be launched because this system is incompatible" even with the genuine combo update for that OS from Apple.

It won't read dual layer discs nor read NTFS drives.

The guy has another MacBook 13" with 10.6.8 on it which I loaded the Leopard DMG onto and transferred to the iMac over network (Took 4 hours!) and my plan then was to create a partition on the HDD about 8GB and restore the Leopard DMG onto that through Disk Utility then boot holding the option key and selecting that partition to start setup.

However, when I open Disk Utility, all of the options are greyed out. I tried Verify then Repair Disk Permissions for the only partition on the disk - but this made no change.

My next thought, was to pop the Leopard DVD into his MacBook and buy a firewire cable then use Target Disk Mode to kick off the install that way - turns out that the MacBook also has an issue of it's own ... it won't read any DVD's - takes them in and spits them out again.

Any thoughts on how I can get Leopard installed to this system? Below are some photos showing the error message when opening a DMG and also the partition screen.

I don't have my own Mac at the moment as it may seem in the signature.

2013 MacBook Air 13" / 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5 / 4GB DDR3 RAM / 128 GB SSD / OSX Mavericks 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Get an external USB DVD drive.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris_B

Any other options? I was concerned that this G4 iMac wouldn't boot from USB? Could I install from USB perhaps?

2013 MacBook Air 13" / 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5 / 4GB DDR3 RAM / 128 GB SSD / OSX Mavericks 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Doubt it. Despite some stating otherwise yet to find any G4 that will boot from USB - too slow. Why not boot from the Leopard black retail install DVD, erase the iMac's drive and do a clean install. You do have the Leopard disc?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Chris_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Doubt it. Despite some stating otherwise yet to find any G4 that will boot from USB - too slow. Why not boot from the Leopard black retail install DVD, erase the iMac's drive and do a clean install. You do have the Leopard disc?
Yip, however the iMac won't read it. I'm not sure if it's a drive issue or because I assume the disc is dual layer and the drive can't read them?

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Have installed Leopard on G4's and the plain old DVR can read the DL discs, not burn them.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes, I forgot those can't boot USB drives.

Get an external FireWire DVD drive then.

SuperDrive DVD, DVD Dual-Layer, CD-R/RW, Blu-Ray Optical Drive Solutions FireWire, USB2, eSATA

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris_B

Seems the drive on the G4 iMac is goosed, it won't read any discs at all.

I've priced up some FireWire optical drives, much too expensive for this sort of thing and to be fair it wouldn't be used any other time than this one.

I've ordered a 6Pin M-M FireWire Cable - Would this work; on the MacBook I create a partition and restore the Leopard DMG Image to it ... Power off and start in TDM then connect to the G4 iMac and attempt to boot holding option - would it recognise the OSX Setup in the created partition?

Thanks in advance.

QUOTE Thanks
Chris_B

Also - any ideas why the partition details are grayed out and can't be modified?

QUOTE Thanks
Chris_B

Any other thoughts on this? Could I use the MacBook more with the FireWire cable to sort this?

Surely the issue with the partition being greyed out isn't that rare?

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

I'm not sure why the partition is grayed out. I'm also not sure how connecting a PPC Mac to an Intel Mac will work out as far as formatting and installing OS X. What I do know is that PPC Mac drives must be booted from a drive with an APM partition scheme, while Intel Macs use GUID. How this difference will affect what you propose… I do not know.

What you need is to get a DVD drive going somehow. What you can try is using a USB drive on the MacBook; boot the MacBook in Target Disk Mode; connect the MacBook to the iMac G4; then reboot the iMac and hold the OPTION key down while booting up. It should see the DVD drive on the MacBook.

I'm unclear on why you mention how the drive won't read dual-layer discs. Do you even have a proper Leopard install disc for the iMac?

------
------
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Win7 via migration? | How do I stop OS X Lion from automatically opening things? »