New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Jumping Cursor - OSX Snow Leopard (2011)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Trevor2522

Trevor2522 is on a distinguished road

My cursor jumps randomly, mainly in Open Office and web-based mail servers like Yahoo.

There are several threads, both here and on the web, about this subject. Some say to check 'Ignore Spurious Trackpad Input' but that no longer exists as an option; instead it's by default anyway, and I'm definitely not touching the trackpad!

I was hoping to escape this irritating problem by dumping my Windows machine but it appears to have accompanied me onto a Mac, albeit in a milder form. Thankfully it's not jumping around on this particular Mac forum but does anyone have a final resolution for the curse of the dreaded jumping cursor? Have any Lion users managed to escape? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

If the problem followed you from one computer to another, and more to the point from one OS to a different OS, and you are using the same trackpad on each computer, then it stands to reason that the problem lays in the trackpad. Try a different trackpad or a mouse to confirm (with the existing one disconnected/powered off, obviously).

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Trevor2522

Trevor2522 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
If the problem followed you from one computer to another, and more to the point from one OS to a different OS, and you are using the same trackpad on each computer, then it stands to reason that the problem lays in the trackpad. Try a different trackpad or a mouse to confirm (with the existing one disconnected/powered off, obviously).
I think it is purely coincidental that the problem followed me on purchasing a Macbook Pro with OSX Snow Leopard after using a Toshiba Satellite running xp. The trackpad, mouse and operating system are completely different and separate on the two machines.

Jumping cursors are a perennial problem on both PCs and Macs and I have yet to find a solution.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Any suggestions? | How to Paste Strikethrough Text into Yahoo Mail? »