New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

dmg / iso icon isn't showing up in Finder

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AsQk

AsQk is on a distinguished road

Hello,

This might be a really stupid question but the dmg files aren't showing their icon thing so I can't open it directly in the finder.
when I double click the file it opens in disk utility first and then the dmg icon will appear in disk utility.
so why doesn't it just show up at the beginning?

In disk utility I can open the dmg file so it's not such a big deal, but that's an extra step every time I open a dmg / iso files so I would like to fix it if I can.

Any advice help will be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Domb

Domb is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.66ghz Intel Core i7 8GB 1067 MHz

if you right click on the file and go open with what is the default option? As on mine it is the DiskImageMounter, if yours is not this then this could be the reason why it does not just open.
QUOTE Thanks
AsQk

Thanks a lot of the help.
I just checked the default option and it was set to open with "Disk Utility" so I guess that was the problem.
Now I would change it to DiskImageMounter like you mentioned if I can but, I can't find Disk Image Mounter in my utilities folder....I searched in spotlight too and I couldn't find it.

Did they get ride of it in Lion?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

If you click on a DMG and Right Click (Control+Click) if you don't have a right click, and click on Get Info. Look for Open With. Click the arrow and DiskImageMounter should show there. Does it not?

I have been using Lion since day one and DiskImageMounter is there for sure. You will not find it in Apps or Utilities. It's a System Process.
QUOTE Thanks
AsQk

Thanks for the advice Travis,

I still can't find it tho, here is what I get

it doesn't show DiskImageMounter so I would go to "Other..." and try to find it in the applications folder but like I said, I couldn't find it anywhere.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I would try a reinstall of Lion then as all my Lion installs have it. Something went wrong somewhere. Like I said it's not in the Apps directory. It does not show up in a Spotlight search here either. It's a System thing.

Here is a DMG here.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2012-02-09 at 7.05.26 AM.png (96.7 KB, 5 views)
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Found where it's stored. Be careful but look and see if it's there. Here is the path.

Mac HD/System/Library/CoreServices/DiskImageMounter.app

It's the System folder when you first click on the hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
AsQk

OMG, thank you so much Travis,

I found the app and now all my dmg/iso files show their icon correctly.
I didn't even have to set it up, I just clicked on the DiskImageMounter app and it took the rest.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Logic board | Airport Preferred Network »