New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Empty Trash Error 50

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tom the other

tom the other is on a distinguished road

Hello All,

Have been trying to empty my trash and am getting an error code -50. Have tried using terminal and entered sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash and sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash* and it will not allow me to enter my password. Thus the trash is still full

I do believe this has something to do with Time Machine for those are the files that are in the trash and will not go away. I am using an external HD for the Time Machine files and dragged them into the trash. Using OS 10.5.8. Not sure what other information would be helpfull.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
dobby

dobby is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad

When you try to empty trash , is the hd still connected and time machine still open or not
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I'm not sure if this is your issue but when using sudo to elevate privileges at the command line, you aren't supposed to see your password when you type it. This is a security feature. Thus, while it may appear as if you aren't typing your password, the key presses are registering.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I don't really have an answer for this at the moment. I can say from experience:

1. It is generally better to let Time Machine Manage when files are deleted rather than trying to do it yourself,
2. This problem emptying the trash may not be Time Machine related. I am experiencing the same error with files in no way connected to Time Machine on a drive that has never been used for Time machine.

If you must delete these files you can try what I've done when this error occurs. First, eject the external drive that is reporting the error. You may have to let the Finder force eject the drive. Then remount the drive and wait for it to reappear. You should now be able to move the files to the trash and delete them.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Permissions Problems | Help with migration assistant »