New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

HELP! Enabling root user set my entire iMac back to factory settings?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dennyc123

dennyc123 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4ghz i5, iPad 2 32gb

I wanted to change the name of my home folder on my iMac so I went to the apple support site and they told me to enable the root user, log in as that then change the folder name in /Users, log out as root then log back in as normal user. I did this and it has completely set my mac back to its factory settings, I have literaly lost everything. How on earth do I fix this as it took me months to set that mac up to how I wanted it, it's even asking me to re-register my Microsoft office and everything?
QUOTE Thanks
dennyc123

At the moment I am running time machine and I have gone back to my last back up and clicked '***y's iMac and then restore. It is now copying 220,000 items to volumes. Was this the right thing to do, or am I still going to lose all of my settings, and for the love of God why did this happen?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

You did something that you were not supposed to do. For starters, you should never enable the root user unless you know exactly what you are doing. Secondly, you can't simply rename your home folder. There is a way to do it, but the way you did it is not it. Whatever that advice was that you read was either dead wrong, or you simply misunderstood it.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It's a bit more complex than just logging on as Root and changing the home folder. It involves several more steps. As lifeisabeach stated you probably missed something along the way.

Here is the article he referred to: LINK
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

It should be mentioned that your original Home folder is probably still there, just with the name you changed it to.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
dennyc123

It's ok I fixed it lt last night finally, I missed an important point in the list from the apple site, I forgot to create a user with the same name as the newly named home folder, once I did that and logged in as it that everything was there sitting waiting for me.

Phew!

And to the person who said I shouldn't mess unless I know what I am doing, how am I going to know what I am doing unless I mess with it haha! 15 years of windows is hard to undo without practice!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyc123 View Post
And to the person who said I shouldn't mess unless I know what I am doing, how am I going to know what I am doing unless I mess with it haha!
He's got a point there. Some of us learn by doing -- the hard way sometimes.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyc123 View Post
And to the person who said I shouldn't mess unless I know what I am doing, how am I going to know what I am doing unless I mess with it haha! 15 years of windows is hard to undo without practice!

That actually is my philosophy. I used to have a dual boot setup of OS X just to experiment on or use to try and recreate and solve a problem someone here may have. At least you had a backup available in the form of Time Machine. Most people who go tinkering and wind up here don't have anything to fall back on.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
robgendreau

robgendreau is on a distinguished road

Dude, you must be the one!

I was messing with an issue with the short user name and tried to access the Apple KB on the issue, and it won't let me in!

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1428?v...ll&locale=null

The home folder does look like any old folder, so why shouldn't you be able to change it? I can see how someone might get sucked into making a Big Mistake.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« time machine restored | FTP Set-up »