New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Flashing folder icon!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Duane01

Duane01 is on a distinguished road

Ok I've got an old Macbook which comes up with the flashing folder icon when you turn it on because the hard drive is blank.

We also have a Macbook pro here at home and a friend has an similar Macbook to the old one.

Now if I try inserting either DVD supplied with the Macbook Pro or the Macbook, it will boot up but wont install saying it can't be installed onto the computer, understandable as to my knowledge they will only work on the computer it was supplied with.

I also have an old retail Tiger OS DVD, which if I insert that I can hear the computer recognises the DVD but it wont get past the flashing folder icon and I don't understand why, if I put the disc in our Macbook pro It recognises it and opens it.

So, can I only fix this Macbook with the original DVD it was supplied with? (which I don't have access to)

What are my options? Apple treats it as a vintage model so I can't have them repair it.
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Quote:
I also have an old retail Tiger OS DVD, which if I insert that I can hear the computer recognizes the DVD but it wont get past the flashing folder icon and I don't understand why, if I put the disc in our Macbook pro It recognizes it and opens it.
Have you tried booting the Mac with the C key pressed down?

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Tiger came in both PowerPC and Intel versions. Using the correct version and holding down 'C'?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Duane01

It's an intel version an I've tried holding 'C' when turning on the computer with no luck. Maybe I was too late to start holding down the 'C' button, but I don't think it's going to make much difference.

I have digital copies of both Snow lepoard and Lion on the Macbook Pro if that helps me at all?

I think we have a firewire cable somewhere but the only thing I got that we could use as an external hard drive to install it is my iPod and I don't really want to lose everything on there.
If I knew how to restore the iPod software after then I would be tempted to do it, since I have copies of all my music elsewhere.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane01 View Post
I have digital copies of both Snow lepoard and Lion on the Macbook Pro if that helps me at all?
Going to ignore that as I don't want you to get into trouble. Pirated software is VERY strictly off-limits here!

Go to the store, buy a copy of Snow Leopard ($30). Install from that.
QUOTE Thanks
Duane01

It's legal to make back up copies of software you own, not to mention Lion is a digital download.

Sorry if there was any confusion.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I misunderstood what you meant by "digital copies." My apologies.

No, they won't help you.

Re-reading your original post, it sounds like the optical drive in the MacBook may not be working, otherwise it would boot from that.

External DVD units are pretty cheap, you might want to consider buying one and using that to read the disc. You may also be able to accomplish this via Target Disk Mode with one of the other computers but I've never had to do this.
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

Mine did the same thing on my iBook I bought tiger online. You might want to just get leopard or snow leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
Duane01

Thanks for your responses everyone.

I think I'll try using my iPod as an external hard drive or the firewire Target disk mode method.

It's just a very weird situation that both the grey install dvds and the retails dvds are recognised (you can hear them spinning and the disc doesn't get rejected), however only the grey dvds get past the folder icon and move onto the installation, which of course then they fail.
QUOTE Thanks
Duane01

Ok sorry to post again but wanted to say about an update.

Today I put my retail snow leopard install disc onto my iPod, it booted and then I selected to begin the installation and it came up as with the grey dvds that it is unable to install on this computer and now I'm just completely confused as to what I can actually do?

The mac denys installing from grey dvds (from other macs) but actually get past the flashing folder icon.

With a retail Tiger OS X dvd, it won't even get past the flashing folder icon but it recognises the disc.

A retail version of Snow leopard on my iPod that has been formated to "GUID" and it gets again to try to install it and say's it can't be installed on the computer?

It is a Macbook 1,1
Intel Core Duo 1.83Ghz
2Gb RAM
Supports up to Mac OS X 10.6.8 (my install on my iPod is 10.6.7)

I don't know what more I can do really.

I'm sure it has an intel processor. Maybe I need to format the hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

What OS was on the MacBook initially?
QUOTE Thanks
Duane01

10.4.6 I think
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Well, there goes my theory.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Error Code -8072 and -36 | Can I have a windows virus that I'm 'transmitting' to others? »