New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

is lion ready yet for work?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Groovetube

Groovetube has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Retina MBP 2.7 768ssd/16gig ram /30" dell 3008. and bunch of other mac/apple stuff

Traditionally I've moved up to the new OS X by about.3 or .4 But, I've heard a lot of negative, almost overwhelming about using lion for production in any way.

I use it for web dev/graphics. Programs is the usual adobe CS5.5, I have a couple clients still hooked on contribute (I read a couple issues there.) and I use eclipse, and a whole pile of other apps. I run it really, really hard with vmWare open often running both XP and win7.

Any success stories? I know people using it for personal and/or strict apple apps and a handful of others are ok with it. But, how is it for "I need this thing to really work". Is it there yet?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Really, the only issue I ever ran into with Lion was a reduced battery life issue (well there's an issue with FW800 drives I ran into, but ONLY when the drives were formatted FAT). A clean install resolved a good chunk of battery life.. not quite all. I run CS5.5 on it, without issue, the rest I can't comment on. Perhaps others have more input in that regard.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Groovetube

Mac Specs: Retina MBP 2.7 768ssd/16gig ram /30" dell 3008. and bunch of other mac/apple stuff

all the pro guys I know including myself are all very religious about maintenance and backups. I'm almost lonney about them.

Do you use a very large number of pro apps daily? I'll often run about 15 + on average. This, is the key here, as I do know a few people using lion but don't use it the way I do or many pros do.

Big big difference. If I started getting beachballs etc in photoshop or the handful of client still stuck on contribute (hate that program) I'd throw this thing through a window.,
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Lion has gotten a harder rap than it deserves. It had a few little glitches here and there, and a few of us have actually found that a full on clean install resolved a lot of them. In my opinion, the overriding concern with Lion that should be considered is if you need Rosetta to support legacy PPC apps. If you have any of those, then you will have to wait on the developer to get off their butts and migrate to Intel code. Failing that, you will have to either look for alternative apps or stay on Snow Leopard forever. PPC is dead with Lion and OS X will never support it again.

Why not partition your drive, install Lion, then give it a trial to see if everything you use works with it? You can also look over this list to see if the apps you rely on have been tested with Lion.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post
all the pro guys I know including myself are all very religious about maintenance and backups. I'm almost lonney about them.

Do you use a very large number of pro apps daily? I'll often run about 15 + on average. This, is the key here, as I do know a few people using lion but don't use it the way I do or many pros do.

Big big difference. If I started getting beachballs etc in photoshop or the handful of client still stuck on contribute (hate that program) I'd throw this thing through a window.,
My suggestion is that since you have 8+ Macs, select one for a trial. Upgrade it to Lion and see if you have problems.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Groovetube

Well I want it on my main Mac, but you're right. I got a new own ssd to install, and an optibay, and wanted to decode which way I went. So, if I try this, I'll put the ssd in optibay, and use it as a trial for now.

I'm nervous because of all the negative feedback. It's interesting dysfunctional that 5.5 runs well, do you use it heavily? Dream weaver blows in general, so I'm not worried about that one, I'm using other apps for coding now anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
Groovetube

ah, your needs are about 1/20th of the average production person like myself. Especially if you use mainly a few apple apps.

Very, huge difference. It isn't about the time of opening photoshop, it's also opening up all of the work you have as well, often 1- to 30 documents. And that's just photoshop. As I said, I KILL and OS. SL has been a total champ.

I'm going to run a trial and see what lion is really made of. It'll be a total fresh install.

But with more things coming that are becoming lion only, I had to initiate this conversation.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post
I'm nervous because of all the negative feedback. It's interesting dysfunctional that 5.5 runs well, do you use it heavily?
I generally do a lot of photo-manipulation, multiple images open (generally not 30, but with panoramas etc it's a possibility), generally as tiffs from Lr, multiple layers and smart objects etc. It runs (well ran) as well as it did in snow leopard on the same 11mbp. Runs better now that I plunked in 16gb's. That said, I work mostly in Photoshop and Illustrator. I don't do web dev, so no need for any of those apps.

One of the things that remains constant in life is this.. People complain more than they praise. It's human nature, which also means you tend to hear more bad than good about things. Lion does have a higher minimum RAM requirement than Snow Leopard though, so as always.. if you don't have plenty of overhead available for use.. you'll notice it. The best way to know for sure, given your workload and method, is to build a separate Lion partition and try it.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Groovetube

That's the plan. It'll take about a week to properly set up the new os as I'll do a total fresh install of everything as that's the best way to give it a proper chance.

If it can survive me, it can survive anyone. I may get the os install in this eve or tomorrow. It'll go on the new owc ssd.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My IMac doesn't boot. | Moving torrents to new hard drive without redownloading »