New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Keeping 10.6 OS Awake

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joe2012

joe2012 is on a distinguished road

I have a Macbook. Running 10.6.8 OS.

Energy Preferences for both Computer & Screen set to "Never" hard disk to sleep is "Unchecked" When I am away from computer say for 30-45 minutes, I come back to my log-in screen, type in password and the desk top, messenger outlook ect have to reload. (Running Office for Mac 2011). How do I keep these applications running? (So they don't go to sleep)?

Thanks,

Joe
QUOTE Thanks
Pigstick

Pigstick is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac OSX 10.7.3: MBP 15" Early 2011 2.0GHz i7, 8GB, 500GB 5400RPM

I think what you are looking for is an app call Caffeine which is available from the App Store.
QUOTE Thanks
joe2012

joe2012 is on a distinguished road

So, you have to get an app to keep the os awake on the macbook? There are no apple settings for this?

Thank You!

Joe
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Disregard

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

What I do with my iMac and others I know do with their MBP's is to let the system sleep and then wake it up to continue using it. That is, I have applications running and then I walk away, the screensaver kicks in about 15 mins later and then the system goes to sleep some time after and when I return I click on the trackpad and I continue doing whatever I was doing in whatever applications are open..nothing is closed or anything..

My friends with MBP's do the same except they close the lid to conserve battery power and when they return they open the lid and continue on.

Having to re-login means that your system isn't sleeping but rather actually crashing and rebooting or crashing and logging out..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Software to show users space | Wanted OS 9 »