New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Keychain Password

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

glennpompier

glennpompier is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Apple LC : 24" iMac , 1TB HD, 13" Macbook Pro, iPhone 5s

Whats the difference between the admin password and the keychain password ? I'm the admin on the family iMac, it asks me for a Keychain Password I enter my admin and won't work. Can the keychain be changed? I'm the only admin for this Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

The Keychain probably has a separate password as a security measure in case someone accesses your computer, compromises it somehow, or learns your account password. You had to have set one at some time in the past. You can always try running Keychain First Aid, found in Keychain Access' menu, to see if there is something corrupted that can be fixed. You can change the password to match your regular one, but you cannot recover a forgotten password.

Mac OS X: Keychain Access asks for keychain "login" after changing login password

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
glennpompier

Thanks will give it a go.

Ok back, checked out gave the first aid a run and there were no problems. Can't change the keychain password as it requires the old one to continue.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpompier View Post
Thanks will give it a go.

Ok back, checked out gave the first aid a run and there were no problems. Can't change the keychain password as it requires the old one to continue.
In that case, your only recourse it to delete it and start anew. To do so, select Finder from the Dock; in the menubar, select Go, then Go to Folder.... Enter this path exactly:

~/Library/Keychains

Delete the two files you see there, named login.keychain and metadata.keychain, or just drag them to the Desktop for the time being. Then log out and back in. New, virgin copies of those files will be created. Bear in mind that everything stored before will be gone. There isn't any way around this.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
glennpompier

Thanks very much, done it. How the **** did you know how to do that lol ?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Thanks very much, done it. How the **** did you know how to do that lol ?
Wellllll…. I've been contributing here on and off for a few years now, and you learn a lot by trying to help people through their issues. It helps a bit to be intuitive in troubleshooting matters, something that my years before as a Windows enthusiast helped hone.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
glennpompier

this is driving me mad now, done a brand new keychain log in and now it's telling me wrong password again LMFAO.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
this is driving me mad now, done a brand new keychain log in and now it's telling me wrong password again LMFAO.
Start over. What is this "it" that is saying you have the wrong password? What EXACTLY are you trying to go? Detail the EXACT error message you are getting, or post a screen shot of it.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Install from OS X Leopard Disc | Is it okay to share make os cd? »