New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Alternative to fsck?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ehatstat

ehatstat is on a distinguished road

Hello all,

I am a first-time poster and not very tech-savvy, so please forgive me for any mistakes or taboos in my query!

I am trying to repair my disk using the fsck -fy command from the startup menu (OS X 10.4.11), however, my "c" key is totally fried. I have tried finding ways to remap the key but anything that I've found to actually change a letter key can only be set AFTER the system boots. I tried the AppleJack program, which I was excited to try because of their menu system (disk repair just requires the "d" key! hooray!) -- but then I discovered that you have to type "applejack" in order to run it. And, of course, I can't, because of my "c" key.

Does anyone know of any way to prompt the disk repair without use of the "c" key (very unlikely), or an alternative program that would allow me to do so? As you may have assumed, I don't have the installation discs, so that is not an option (this computer was a hand-me-down from a friend).

I really appreciate any help that anyone can give me, I have been looking everywhere for a solution and cannot find one anywhere.

Thank you SO much!

Oh, and I have a PowerBook G4, if that makes a difference!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Sorry if this sounds like a flippant response, that's not the intention.

Why not just borrow or get a cheap USB keyboard?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
ehatstat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Why not just borrow or get a cheap USB keyboard?
No, not flippant at all! Actually I had considered that, but I wasn't sure if the USB input works before the computer is booted up. Do you know for sure that it does?

Thanks for your reply!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

The USB port has been used for keyboards and mice for a long time now and does come alive very early in the boot up to allow you to enter keys..so that will definitely work..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
ehatstat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
The USB port has been used for keyboards and mice for a long time now and does come alive very early in the boot up to allow you to enter keys..so that will definitely work..
Thank you, I will try it, and update/close this thread if it works! Much appreciated
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Admin Password Lost | Same login profile for all new users »