New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Comcast Says I Have a Bot - How Likely?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DenverBuff

DenverBuff is on a distinguished road

I have an IMac (love it!) linked to a Linksys router. WPA-2 protection, 25 character random password. 1 Ipad and 2 PC notebooks linked to the network.

So I get an e-mail from my friends at Comcast internet last nite telling me that I may have a "bot" and to hit the attached link to fix it. I call Comcast and they say its legit and that they detected a "Backdoor PHP" virus. Can't tell me which computer. So I hit the link and its an invitation to download Comcast's version of Norton anti-virus.

My virus scans on my PC's turn up nada. But Comcast/Norton DOES offer a free virus protection program for Macs that they encourage me to download.

I've done my share of searches on here and I understand that its a longshot that my Mac is infected. And I've had my battles with Norton's PC stuff in the past and ended up un-installing it..

So my question is . . . anybody dealt with this before? Would you download Norton for MAC even if its free? Anybody heard of a "bot" infecting a Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBuff View Post
I have an IMac (love it!) linked to a Linksys router. WPA-2 protection, 25 character random password. 1 Ipad and 2 PC notebooks linked to the network.

So I get an e-mail from my friends at Comcast internet last nite telling me that I may have a "bot" and to hit the attached link to fix it. I call Comcast and they say its legit and that they detected a "Backdoor PHP" virus. Can't tell me which computer. So I hit the link and its an invitation to download Comcast's version of Norton anti-virus.

My virus scans on my PC's turn up nada. But Comcast/Norton DOES offer a free virus protection program for Macs that they encourage me to download.

I've done my share of searches on here and I understand that its a longshot that my Mac is infected. And I've had my battles with Norton's PC stuff in the past and ended up un-installing it..

So my question is . . . anybody dealt with this before? Would you download Norton for MAC even if its free? Anybody heard of a "bot" infecting a Mac?
If you absolutely MUST install antivirus go with ClamAV. It's free and relatively harmless. Don't mess with Norton AV. It's big trouble.

And, FWIW, the chances that you are infected with a Bot virus are essentially zero.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
I call Comcast and they say its legit and that they detected a "Backdoor PHP" virus.
No such virus for the Mac. (Actually there are no viruses in the wild for the Mac, there is, however, some malware.) The folks at Comcast can barely spell "Mac" let alone know anything at all about OS X. Do as Razormac suggested and stay away from installing Norton as it's difficult to uninstall and causes more problems than it fixes.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

More than likely what happened was you hit a website or a torrent that had it running and Comcast's technology picked it up and where the traffic was going. Unless you are running a torrent or a web server, I would not worry about it. Try clamav, scan the PC and then delete it.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

IF you have a bot, it will be one of those Windows PCs. You can disconnect them from the network while you try to figure it out.
QUOTE Thanks
DenverBuff

Thanks for the insight guys. I've run AV searches twice on each machine with different programs and nothing turned up other than routine - and annoying -tracking cookies. Frankly, it's the method employed by Comcast that bugs me. They send people (and LOT of people are getting these e-mails) this "armageddon" e-mail about bots but don't provide any contact information other than a link to their website . . that invites you download a bunch Norton and Xfinity software. I would think that if they really thought that my machines were getting hit with viruses and bots that are jamming up their network, their tekkies would call me and walk me through it. Instead I get a "download Norton" invitation. No wonder people think these e-mails are spam.

And they are, in part. I have no doubt Comcast found something that tripwired their sensors. But it's the way they approach the solution that reeks of a marketing ploy. There are a slew of discussions on the Comcast boards on this topic.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Let me suggest they would not known their elbows from ... from their other end.

As suggested run ClamXAV if you feel threatened. What you found was another marketing ploy to sell Nortons Nonsense.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Are you sure that e-mail was from Comcast? It probably was - but I know I see some very well crafted phishing e-mails these days.
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

There is a relevant xkcd comic about ISP's and only windows support, and a Linux user trying to get his internet fixed, but I can't find it anymore

But I did find this
Quote:
Our local cable company is Comcast. I was having high-speed Internet installed at my apartment, and a Comcast guy showed up. He started spouting off technical jargon about "bouncing signals" and stuff that I knew was complete nonsense, all so he could buy time to have a smoke and talk on his phone.

I was starting to get very frustrated that he'd been at my house for a couple of hours and wasn't finished with the install. I'd specifically requested that he not install any software on my computer, because I knew it was not necessary for using the Internet. My roommate, however, had not made the same request.

After some time, my roommate had to leave, and I was left to supervise the Comcast guy. I went into my roommate's bedroom to find him scratching his head as he fiddled with her Mac. He was kinda sweaty and really mad and looked up at me and asked, "What kind of computer is this??"

"It's a Mac," I said.

"What kind of Windows are you runnin' on this thing??"

I tried telling him that it did not run Windows, and he refused to believe me. He got so frustrated that he actually ended up cussing at me and comparing me to his ex wife.

He got fired.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
DenverBuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
Are you sure that e-mail was from Comcast? It probably was - but I know I see some very well crafted phishing e-mails these days.
I called Comcast and they confirmed the e-mail was legit. But it's very weird looking and looks like spam.
QUOTE Thanks
sfam198

sfam198 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by McYukon View Post
There is a relevant xkcd comic about ISP's and only windows support, and a Linux user trying to get his internet fixed, but I can't find it anymore

But I did find this
You're looking for this
Attached Images
File Type: png tech_support.png (126.0 KB, 43 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfam198 View Post
You're looking for this
Let me guess ... this was posted on the wall of your cubicle?
QUOTE Thanks
sfam198

sfam198 is on a distinguished road

Lol, no but it should be...*print*
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Although I agree that it's unlikely that your Mac is running a bot, they DO indeed exist for Mac OS X. The most prevalent one accompanied a pirated copy of iWork/iLife '09 (although I can't recall the name off the top).

Aside from getting a "second opinion" scan with a dedicated spyware tool like MalwareBytes (on the PCs), I would actually recommend doing a scan with the trialware version of MacScan, just to be on the safe side.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

Same thing happened to me. Change your network name and password. Try Sophos for Mac it's free or clamav.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hanging and beachballs and lots of outgoing data | OSX Server backups »