New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Macbook can't eject DVD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zohararn

zohararn is on a distinguished road

I played a DVD on my MacBook OSX. It played fine, and still plays fine. I tried to eject the DVD, and the computer tried to do this. The DVD seemed to bump up against something, and the computer reloaded it. The port for the DVD is not blocked at the entrance. Can I safely take the screws out of my MacBook and see if the DVD player is dislodged? Is there something else I should try? If I take apart the computer, will it shut down the hard drive and effectively ruin the computer (someone told me some new ones do this)? What else do I need to know?
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Try booting with the left track pad/mouse button held down. Try shutting down and/or booting while holding down the Eject key. Try typing the following into Terminal, drutil tray open
QUOTE Thanks
zohararn

Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately, the problem is not that the computer won't eject the DVD. It seems to hit against something inside the computer, rather than coming out the slot. I think the component must be misaligned. Can I safely take the computer apart?
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

That depends on how confidant you are on doing a good job. I can change a hard drive on my MacBook, but I don't think I'd try anything else.

There maybe stuff here that'll help:
Mac Repair - iFixit
QUOTE Thanks
zohararn

Thank you. I will check out that link. I am confident in my ability to take things apart and put them back together the way I found them. My only concern is that I was told that some laptops now completely erase their hard drives if you open them up. I understand it's a safety feature companies want so that information is secure on their equipment. Do you know how to find out whether or not my model has this feature, before I start mucking about doing MacBook surgery?
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

Quote:
I was told that some laptops now completely erase their hard drives if you open them up.
Never heard of that before.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Try inserting either a business card or index card half way into the slot. Such that you can feel the DVD. Then eject the DVD. Hopefully the card will guide the DVD out.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
zohararn

The card idea rocks! I'm going to try that before opening up the monster. I did call Apple, and the security feature that erases hard drives is not on this computer. However, they verified that some computers now have exactly that security feature, so beware!

Thanks for the help, folks!
QUOTE Thanks
zohararn

Yeah, I tried the card idea, and it did not work for me - or else I did it wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

The idea is to get the card under the DVD.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
zohararn

Thanks. It won't go under the DVD. Tried my drivers' license and a credit card. I think I'll find a screwdriver. The player must be out of alignment. It's nice to think I'm not alone here with this machine, though!
QUOTE Thanks
wolfpuppies3

wolfpuppies3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

and if beneath it doesn't work, try on top of fit. The screw driver may not be the right tool for the job.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

I just thought of something. Try flipping the laptop 180 degrees and back. The DVD may slip into proper alignment for ejection.

QUOTE Thanks
zohararn

Yeah. Didn't work. You guys are great, though. I think it will be fun to take it apart, personally.
QUOTE Thanks
sonscope

sonscope is on a distinguished road

Hello. I have had this problem and also the solution. In my case and probably in yours too the problem is the optical drive bezel which sits between the optical drive and the external DVD slot. It is attached to the side of the enclosure and the discs pass through it first as it ejects to exit the external slot.

If this bezel warps in any way a disc may push against it, feel a bit of resistance, give up and decide to stay inside the drive. This was the case in my situation.

You have some choices.
1. Fix the bezel or
2. Replace the bezel

In my case I took out the bezel, manipulated it, bent it back into shape, stuck a small knife through it and turned it to widen the bezel. I kept putting a disc manually through it until I was satisfied it was going through it smoothly as I continued to manipulate the bezel. I then sat it back into the enclosure without screwing it down and checked the disc was moving smoothly through it until I was satisfied. I then put it all back together and this solution worked for me and it is now ejecting working fine.

I would like to add that if the problem returned, next time I would just buy a new bezel and install it. (available at iFixit) The instructions for doing this whole job can be found below in the below link to iFixit. Just follow the instructions carefully and use the correct tools. Also, a screwdriver with a flexible attachment that bends will be of tremendous help. Good Luck

Installing MacBook Core Duo Optical Drive Bezel - iFixit

PS. If you need to get a disc out in the meantime, what I did was insert a small coin into the external slot about 40% of the way, at the slot end closest to the front of the MacBook. As the disc tries to eject, Turn the coin towards you al little , anti-clockwise just a little firmly to create extra space in the slot while the disc is ejecting
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I remove the dns trojan. (10.4.11) Any help please? (Screenshots attached!) | Problem when clicking on trackpad with reading list.. »