New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

New Macbook user=fail

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

outafterdark

outafterdark is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,

hopefully I'm posting this in the right thread and apologies if this is covered elsewhere but I'm exhausted from looking.

I got a second hand macbook very reasonably, however it did not come with it's original discs. the machine was running 10.8.5 I believe.

I borrowed a friends 10.6.1 discs- also from a Macbook and when I tried to install, I was informed this would not work. Fair enough. I tried something in Disc Utility though, that I found on another forum and have subsequently wiped the hard drive.

The disc now loops between the useless restore section; which I dont understand well enough to see if I'm doing something wrong, and a white screen with a grey folder marked ? if the disc isn't in.

Is there any way I can sort this using these discs? I don't want to spend any more money ideally, I can't afford to. Please, let me know!
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

I think the most important part is: Which model and year Macbook is it? Once we know that it's easy to find out which OSX version would be supported supported. After that you'd have to buy the OS - $30 for Lion is not bad at all. If you need an older one, Ebay, Craigslist and such are good spots to get a better deal than paying full price.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafterdark View Post

I got a second hand macbook very reasonably, however it did not come with it's original discs. the machine was running 10.8.5 I believe.
Probably 10.5.8

Quote:
I borrowed a friends 10.6.1 discs- also from a Macbook and when I tried to install, I was informed this would not work. Fair enough.

The disc now loops between the useless restore section; which I dont understand well enough to see if I'm doing something wrong, and a white screen with a grey folder marked ? if the disc isn't in.

Is there any way I can sort this using these discs? I don't want to spend any more money ideally, I can't afford to. Please, let me know!
Bottom line is you need a proper OS install disk...like this for a measly $29 bucks:

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
outafterdark

Sorry, I do have a proper OS install disc. It's not a copy or anything like that. I'm currently trying something else, but will edit the thread to show what year and model etc it is.

The disc says "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer". Then gives me the option of going into disc utility. Surely these genuine discs aren't my problem?

EDIT=

OK= I know jack about Mac's but I can't find a model number, year, anything. I can't get into "about this mac" cause I've wiped the thing.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sorry, I do have a proper OS install disc. It's not a copy or anything like that. I'm currently trying something else, but will edit the thread to show what year and model etc it is.

The disc says "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer". Then gives me the option of going into disc utility. Surely these genuine discs aren't my problem?
No you don't have a proper OS install disk...for two reasons:

1. You're not supposed to borrow OS install disks from a friend (it's against Apple's EULA)!
2. The OS install disks you "borrowed" are from a different model Macintosh. Those gray disks are model specific...and that's why they aren't working on your MacBook!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
outafterdark

Ok- that seems to be the bottom of it then. The gray disks are the issue. That's something at least. My problem isn't sorted but at least my issue is (sort of) resolved. at least I'm not going mental.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Ok- that seems to be the bottom of it then. The gray disks are the issue. That's something at least. My problem isn't sorted but at least my issue is (sort of) resolved. at least I'm not going mental.
Just $29 bucks for an OS install disk (or equivalent cost where you're located)...and you will most likely be good to go!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
outafterdark

So where can I find the model etc? If I need to buy a disc I don't want it to then be useless. It's not under the battery and I can't get into the system
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
So where can I find the model etc? If I need to buy a disc I don't want it to then be useless. It's not under the battery and I can't get into the system
The OS install disk I linked from the Apple store will work on your MacBook. It's NOT a "gray" disk like the one you were using...it's a "Full Retail OS Install disk".

The gray disks ship with a new computer...but only work on the model they shipped with.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Most MacBooks have their information printed (in English, even!) on a little plaque inside the battery compartment (battery will need to be removed for this, of course).

It's possible (since we've never established what model this is) that your macbook is too old to run Snow Leopard. Before you spend the money, see if you can find out what model it is.

If its gray aluminum, you're good.

If it's white and very thin, you're good.

If it's black or white and not especially thin, you may or may not be good with Snow Leopard and we'll need more information.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

System Requirements

Mac computer with an Intel processor
1GB of memory
5GB of available disk space
DVD drive for installation
Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.
Some features require Apple's MobileMe service; fees and terms apply.
QUOTE Thanks
frutzi22

frutzi22 is on a distinguished road

He needs an MAC OS NOT OSX he has a power pc mac !!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frutzi22 View Post
He needs an MAC OS NOT OSX he has a power pc mac !!
Who said he needs an Intel version? No one that I see!

My post shows the requirements for 10.6. Does not tell him to use it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Extreme Base Station - Config | Stuck "loading installation information" »