New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Help! Erased Macinstosh HD from Disk Utility

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

i<3mac

i<3mac is on a distinguished road

My bf who is currently deployed in Afghanistan bought a new Macbook Pro in August while on leave. When he returned to Afghanistan he downloaded Lion from apple.com and that was when all the trouble started. Anytime he tried to do something (watch a movie,play itunes, go online) the system would continuously crash. I sent him the Installation CDs from my Macbook so that he could do a clean wipe of his HD and reinstall Snow Leopard. Problem is when he tried to boot the installation CD pressing C, a black screen with white letters would come up and nothing else would happen. He then tried to press Command R and run the installation CD from there but the same would happen. He then erased the Macintosh HD from Disk Utility by mistake and now everytime he tries to turn on his Macbook Pro a white screen pops up and nothing else happens. He saved all his files to an external before he started doing this in case this would happen. How can he retrieve his Macintosh HD in Disk Utility?
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by i<3mac View Post
How can he retrieve his Macintosh HD in Disk Utility?
Can't - he needs to reinstall - should be able to get it free from Apple app store since he already paid.

A Macbook Pro can't boot from a Macbook's DVD - only Mac-specific support files (like .kexts) are on the gray recovery DVDs. Read here:
"What OS Disk Do I Need?" A Brief Overview
QUOTE Thanks
i<3mac

i<3mac is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much, that link was very helpful.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Lesson: can't use disc for MacBook in a MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro Very Slow Boot | New to Mac folders and manipulationf them »