New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Time machine does not work any more!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rosslyn

rosslyn is on a distinguished road

OK, i have 2 macbooks that back up to the same external hardrive. One macbook backs up fine as it always has done. The second has only started having problems. When plugged in and i start back up the back up always stops at 331.11mb. I have deleted the old backup files for this macbook to start from scratch but still no joy. I have also tried it on a new hardrive and still joy!

Running 10.6.8
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Run Disk Utility on the second MacBook to see if the internal hard drive has any errors. You'll need to boot it from the Snow Leopard install DVD, accept the language, skip the install. Go to the top menu, Utilities, Disk Utility, highlight the drive on the left and choose verify and repair on the right side from the First Aid Tab. Let's see what it says.
QUOTE Thanks
rosslyn

Thanks for the reply. I have done as you said, it repaired a few things and stated it was successful. I then ran the backup again (time machine) and it just stayed at 303.2 MB out of 99.55 GB.

thoughts please

Cheers
Rosslyn
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like the internal drive on that MacBook is having problems. Even though Disk Utility said repairs were successful, I suspect the drive may be hanging up. It can't be the external drive because your other machine is OK and you tried backing up to different drive.
QUOTE Thanks
rosslyn

Do you think I need a new drive, if so how do I get all my apps, conf files etc over to a new drive if I can't back it up?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

If you can't do a direct copy (not using Time Machine) with either the Finder or the use of a program such as SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner, you may have to resort to data recovery software.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari Status Bar | Permission to write/save to a folder »