New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Wi-Fi on MBA 2011

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

domlanic

domlanic is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBA 13" 2012 8GB RAM

Problem- multiple networks in my area (20+) so Airport goes 'looking for new networks' which means my preferred network freezes for 20-30 seconds. Repeatedly. Infuriating! Similar question has been asked but the answer given has no effect, for me. How can a network be "locked' or all others blocked to prevent this search starting??
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

In System Prefs/Network uncheck 'Ask to join new networks' then go Advanced/Wi-Fi and drag your own preferred network to the top of the list

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
domlanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendlewitch View Post
In System Prefs/Network uncheck 'Ask to join new networks' then go Advanced/Wi-Fi and drag your own preferred network to the top of the list
Thanks Pendlewitch

Have to conclude it cannot be done; tried ALL permutations in the settings but the search for networks continues. This is a serious flaw in the system, for me.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Can you download an app called istumbler and see if any of the networks' channels conflict with yours and try changing to a different channel?

Also, is your router up to scratch? Does it need a reset, or a firmware update, is it dual band ?

These things can all add up.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
QUOTE Thanks
domlanic

Thanks- I don't know any of that stuff, will give it a try!

No router, just the Airport internal thingy; all my software is up to date and I use Clean My Mac often (seems a good application)
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Going back to your original question..are you saying that you can't connect to the internet at all? Are you trying to connect to A.N.Other's network?

From the info you give in your last post you don't appear to have a wireless router, so my next question is do you have a broadband modem?

QUOTE Thanks
domlanic

All I have is my MBA, no external hardware- connecting wirelessly via 'Airport'.

The profusion of local Wi-Fi networks causes Airport to hunt continuously which stops my browsing activity. Clicking on the Airport symbol in the bar across top of screen shows the greyed-out "Wi-Fi: Looking for networks..." with a spinning 'spoked wheel'.

There is no option to stop this process...
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

When you say no external hardware do you mean that you have no broadband connection of your own?

The Wi-Fi activity you describe is normal when you click on the icon. One of the networks listed underneath should be ticked.

EDIT : Apologies if I appear to be misunderstanding the situation but under normal circumstance you must have a broadband enabled telephone connection and a modem to connect to it, you either hook up to the modem by ethernet cable or wirelessly if the unit is a combined modem and wireless router (or sometimes these items are separate)

If you have this then you need to physically choose to connect to that network by clicking on it in the list underneath the Airport icon.

Alternatively you will need a password to connect to A.N.Other's wireless connection if it is protected. The owner must of course be aware that you intend to do this.

QUOTE Thanks
domlanic

<<The Wi-Fi activity you describe is normal when you click on the icon. One of the networks listed underneath should be ticked.>>

Normal- yes; desirable?- No; I installed one of the network detection programs you suggested and found that only 2m away the signal was better and this 'hunting' behaviour much reduced- in effect, a fix! Thanks again for your efforts
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wired mouse palava... | 50GB video file trapped on external drive »