New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Lion Boot Time

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

salgala2000

salgala2000 is on a distinguished road

Hello Mac Forums,

My 13" Macbook Pro is about 1 month old. Recently the login time has increased greatly. It is important to note that the login time is only long right after i reboot. If i reboot, log in (takes long) and then log out, all logins after that take the usual amount of the time. This occurs with all the users (not guest user, obviously).

Disk Utility tells me that the disc is okay except for permissions on an 'SUID' file (which according to the internet seems to be fairly standard.

Also, I'm not sure if this is related or not but the chime sound that plays when you turn on a mac does not play except if i hold command+option+o+f during startup.

Tl;dr: The first time after a reboot my mac login takes longer than usual. Is this fixable?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

When you shut down or reboot your MBP is the sound muted or very low? The long boot up times could be related to the number of programs that you have starting when your machine boots. Check System Preferences, Users & Groups, Login Items.
QUOTE Thanks
salgala2000

My only startup program is ItunesHelper.

What makes me doubt that startup programs are causing the delay is that it's ONLY the first time logging in that the delay occurs, regardless of user.

Since I'm bad at explaining, here's a diagram.

Example:

Reboot Computer > Log in to my personal account (admin) > (Experience delay) > logout > sign in other account (not guest account or admin) > (no delay)

Reboot Computer > Log in to other account (not guest or admin) > (experience delay) > logout > log in to admin (personal) account > (no delay)

Reboot Computer > Log in to admin (personal account) > (experience delay) > logout > log in to admin (personal account) > no delay

The above also happens with the 'other' account.
.................................................. .................................................. .....

Does too many startup programs explain that behavior?

EDIT: By the way my MBP came with Lion installed so it's not a software-upgrade issue.
QUOTE Thanks
Mini_mi

Mini_mi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme

All things being equal, there should be no delay between account types. Now that being said, when logging in as admin are you connecting to network drive or other resources that you don't connect to with other accounts. You have not provided enough real information to accurrately analyze the issue. Would really help if you posted actually login times (not perception), programs that reopenning windows, computer info, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
salgala2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini_mi View Post
All things being equal, there should be no delay between account types. Now that being said, when logging in as admin are you connecting to network drive or other resources that you don't connect to with other accounts. You have not provided enough real information to accurrately analyze the issue. Would really help if you posted actually login times (not perception), programs that reopenning windows, computer info, etc.
The delay occurs with both accounts so I don't believe that the issue would have to do with that, but I don't know what you mean by connecting to a network drive or other resources.

Here is some information about my computer (main categories in System Information)

Hardware Overview:
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B24
SMC Version (system): 1.68f98
Serial Number (system): xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hardware UUID: AFB57C65-70D3-515A-8F51-9AC52F0E6151
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled
System Software Overview:
System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.2 (11C74)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.2.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Computer Name: xxxxxx’s MacBook Pro
User Name: xxxxxxx (salgala2000)
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Time since boot: 3:26

I will edit this message with a video of the mac rebooting in a few minutes.

EDIT: HERE is the video. As you can see there's almost a 30 second wait for it to load compared to an almost instaneous login after the first time.

If there's any more information that would help please let me know so I can post it here.
QUOTE Thanks
dobby

dobby is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad

If you reboot a system all system services and personal programs are shutdown .
And when the reboot start it begins to restart the system services and after you choice which user is going to login it begins to start the user programs .
Even that I did not use a login my system is on auto login my personal programs are grey out in the beginning .
And than it start my personal programs .
And to me that is totally normal .
QUOTE Thanks
salgala2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobby View Post
If you reboot a system all system services and personal programs are shutdown .
And when the reboot start it begins to restart the system services and after you choice which user is going to login it begins to start the user programs .
Even that I did not use a login my system is on auto login my personal programs are grey out in the beginning .
And than it start my personal programs .
And to me that is totally normal .
So user programs are the things responsible for the slowing of my computer?

Assuming there are no 'hidden' startup user programs, my only startup user program is ItunesHelper. Also, if user startup programs are really the cause of this that would mean that user programs are not shutdown when a user logs out. Is this the case (i've only been using OS X for about a month) ?

The reason i think this has another cause is that it only started happening (suddenly, not gradually) recently and it did not happen the first month or so that I've been using this computer.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Have you looked in the Console logs (Applications => Utilities). Usually extremely long boot times (at least in my experience) are caused by failing startup processes. The Console logs should be able to clue you into the problem.

Aside from that - the unfortunate thing is that Lion is pretty slow to startup all by itself - particularly if you allow it to "reopen windows when logging back in" - because all of those applications will need to be restarted during the boot process.

There are, however, two things that you can do to avoid this...

1. Don't reboot. Yes, I know, you think I'm being sarcastic.... but really, OS X being based on BSD (an OS that was designed to run 24/7/365 with no downtime) really doesn't need to reboot that often. Just put your machine to sleep when you're not using it. Trust me, it will be fine.

2. Install an SSD in lieu of your traditional hard drive. I used to hate rebooting. Now, I giggle like a school girl when I do... it literally takes less than 15 seconds on my Crucial M4/256GB SSD.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
salgala2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Have you looked in the Console logs (Applications => Utilities). Usually extremely long boot times (at least in my experience) are caused by failing startup processes. The Console logs should be able to clue you into the problem.

Aside from that - the unfortunate thing is that Lion is pretty slow to startup all by itself - particularly if you allow it to "reopen windows when logging back in" - because all of those applications will need to be restarted during the boot process.

There are, however, two things that you can do to avoid this...

1. Don't reboot. Yes, I know, you think I'm being sarcastic.... but really, OS X being based on BSD (an OS that was designed to run 24/7/365 with no downtime) really doesn't need to reboot that often. Just put your machine to sleep when you're not using it. Trust me, it will be fine.

2. Install an SSD in lieu of your traditional hard drive. I used to hate rebooting. Now, I giggle like a school girl when I do... it literally takes less than 15 seconds on my Crucial M4/256GB SSD.
Thank you, I'll check out Console and see if there's any recurring problems when i reboot.

As it is now I just put my computer to sleep, so the actual rebooting isn't an issue for me. My primary reason for asking for help was the possibility that whatever caused this could cause worse things later on.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes U not loading... | what does it mean when computer stops recognizing external hard drive immediately »