New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Macbook Repair disk permissions not working

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Firejack

Firejack is on a distinguished road

Using apples disk utility I tried repairing my disk permissions on my macbook. After doing a repair which was said to take 38 minutes but almost took over two hours i decided to click repair again to see what would happen. And unthinkably it had to repair all the exact same permissions which were mostly things to do with java, frameworks and core services.

Is there something I can do to actually fix these permissions?

Additional Details:
i am using mac OSX 10.6.8
to repair it i use disk utility found in the utilities folder
here are a few lines of what comes up

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines… should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Repaired "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines…
User differs on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines… should be 0, user is 95.
Repaired "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines…
User differs on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines… should be 0, user is 95.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firejack View Post
After doing a repair which was said to take 38 minutes but almost took over two hours...
When I hear this...the first three things I think are:

- It must have been a VERY long time since the permissions on this computer were repaired.
- The hard drive is almost full.
- The hard drive is going bad.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Firejack

its an 80 gig hard drive and i have only used 40 gigs its probably been 2 months since permissions were last repaired and so far i have not had any trouble with the hard drive so i don't think it would be going bad but i will run a tech tool scan to check.
QUOTE Thanks
Firejack

I have done the scan and its says everything is working fine.... any other suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

What permissions repair looks at:
About Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions feature
Permissions Repair is not perfect - see what you can ignore:
Mac OS X: Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions messages that you can safely ignore

Bottom line - go ahead and repair permissions, then ignore its output.

PS-
On the other hand, repairing the directory structure - verify and repair the hard drive (fixes pointers to all the pieces of files on the drive) is disk maintenance that works.
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417
QUOTE Thanks
Firejack

yeh my only problem is when i go to repair my disk permissions it takes a long time around 2 hours.I have roughly looked over all the repairs and i think i can safely ignore them all but why does it take so long?
QUOTE Thanks
dobby

dobby is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad

Assuming that you use the install DVD to repair you're startup disk yes that is a long time .
Because as you know repairing disk permission on a running system does not works .
It takes me less than 10 min to repair a 160 GB drive
QUOTE Thanks
Firejack

Well i used my original leopard disk to repair it an that took two seconds.
Right now i am running repair from the app but i am quite sure it is doing the same thing as it is taking a long time. The only worrying thing right now is no information is coming up in the repair log but i will give the details of the repair once it has finished. It say it will take 23 minutes but we know the mac's are bad estimators
QUOTE Thanks
Firejack

now its been going for 1 hour and 23 mins so i think it will go for the same length of time as it did originally. This is what the log says so far:
Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Remote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/Italian.lproj/UIAgent.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Remote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/Italian.lproj/UIAgent.nib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Classes/jconsole.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Classes/jconsole.jar".
User differs on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/lib", should be 95, user is 0.
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/lib".
User differs on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Libraries", should be 95, user is 0.
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Libraries".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Home/lib/security/cacerts", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Home/lib/security/cacerts".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/libdeploy.jnilib", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/libdeploy.jnilib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreenLeopard386.app/Contents/Resources/Italian.lproj/MainMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreenLeopard386.app/Contents/Resources/Italian.lproj/MainMenu.nib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/Resources/zh_TW.lproj/RemoteDesktopMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/Resources/zh_TW.lproj/RemoteDesktopMenu.nib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Remote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/zh_TW.lproj/UIAgent.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Remote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/zh_TW.lproj/UIAgent.nib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/zh_TW.lproj/MainMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/zh_TW.lproj/MainMenu.nib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/Resources/zh_CN.lproj/RemoteDesktopMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/Resources/zh_CN.lproj/RemoteDesktopMenu.nib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Remote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/zh_CN.lproj/UIAgent.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Remote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/zh_CN.lproj/UIAgent.nib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/zh_CN.lproj/MainMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/zh_CN.lproj/MainMenu.nib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/Resources/ko.lproj/RemoteDesktopMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/Resources/ko.lproj/RemoteDesktopMenu.nib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Remote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/ko.lproj/UIAgent.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Remote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/ko.lproj/UIAgent.nib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/ko.lproj/MainMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/ko.lproj/MainMenu.nib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/Resources/Dutch.lproj/RemoteDesktopMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/Resources/Dutch.lproj/RemoteDesktopMenu.nib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Remote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/Dutch.lproj/UIAgent.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Remote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/Dutch.lproj/UIAgent.nib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/Dutch.lproj/MainMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/Dutch.lproj/MainMenu.nib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/Resources/Italian.lproj/RemoteDesktopMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/Resources/Italian.lproj/RemoteDesktopMenu.nib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/Italian.lproj/MainMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/Italian.lproj/MainMenu.nib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/Resources/Spanish.lproj/RemoteDesktopMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/Resources/Spanish.lproj/RemoteDesktopMenu.nib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Remote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/Spanish.lproj/UIAgent.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Remote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/Spanish.lproj/UIAgent.nib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/Spanish.lproj/MainMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/Spanish.lproj/MainMenu.nib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/Resources/French.lproj/RemoteDesktopMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/Resources/French.lproj/RemoteDesktopMenu.nib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Remote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/French.lproj/UIAgent.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Remote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/French.lproj/UIAgent.nib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/French.lproj/MainMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/French.lproj/MainMenu.nib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/Resources/German.lproj/RemoteDesktopMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/Resources/German.lproj/RemoteDesktopMenu.nib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Remote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/German.lproj/UIAgent.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Remote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/German.lproj/UIAgent.nib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/German.lproj/MainMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/German.lproj/MainMenu.nib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/Resources/Japanese.lproj/RemoteDesktopMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/Resources/Japanese.lproj/RemoteDesktopMenu.nib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Remote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/Japanese.lproj/UIAgent.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Remote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/Japanese.lproj/UIAgent.nib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/Japanese.lproj/MainMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/Japanese.lproj/MainMenu.nib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/libdeploy.jnilib", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/libdeploy.jnilib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/RemoteDesktopMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/RemoteDesktopMenu.nib".
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Remote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/UIAgent.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Remote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/UIAgent.nib".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/MainMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Support/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/MainMenu.nib".

Ill post the rest once it is done
QUOTE Thanks
Firejack

Permissions repair complete

thats was actually the end of it but it took another 30 mins to finish any ideas guys cause i am puzzled on what to do from here
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Now that you've done Permissions Repair, you move on to something else. Permissions Repair isn't all that valuable.

You should be repairing the hard drive instead. Let us know the result.
QUOTE Thanks
UrMacDaddy

UrMacDaddy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: i5 8GB Lion/ G3 /iPhone4/iPods

What about "applejack"??? Anyone? I have just read about it.
QUOTE Thanks
Firejack

Urmacdaddy: i think applejack is just an easier way of accessing the functions the mac has already got. Gsahli i did a verify of the disk rather then repairing it and it said that it was all fine.
Here are the details:

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Performing live verification.
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
Checking extents overflow file.
Checking catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking catalog hierarchy.
Checking extended attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK.

Through experience i have found permissions repair very handy to make programs run as they should. I just want to do it weekly to make sure it takes only 2 minutes rather then 2 hours. Except i have found a problem here and i need it fixed so it can run fast
I hope we soon get to the bottom of this lol
QUOTE Thanks
UrMacDaddy

UrMacDaddy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: i5 8GB Lion/ G3 /iPhone4/iPods

Awesome! I have been doing the same as you, a weekly permissions. I thought maybe you might have had issues that repair permissions wouldnt fix. What I have read of applejack is that if it is loaded now and needed later, it might come in handy. Understand that I am recently learning about all this, as opposed to just being a casual user.....Good Luck!!
QUOTE Thanks
Firejack

yeh i am trying to mac my own script to run weekly maintenance permissions repair included but whats the point if its going to take more then two hours and not work
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help required to solve start up issue | Screen Savers disappeared from the folder »