New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Locked Files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

Hi All,

I upgraded to Lion last week, and am going through a little growing pain. Apparently a good many of my files have fallen victim to Time Machine's new locking feature. And even though I've since turned off that pesky "lock files after two weeks" function, files that were locked prior to my turning it off remain locked.

So how can I unlock them -- all of them? Google seems rather unhelpful, pointing me to hundreds of articles about turning off locking rather than actually unlocking previously locked files.

It's slowly driving me insane...

Thanks in advance for your help.

Z
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The "lock" function you refer to only affects Apple applications such as Pages. It's actually a brilliant idea -- completely removes the risk of accidentally overwriting a file.

Chances are, if you're re-opening a file you haven't edited in "X" number of weeks, this is likely to be what you actually want -- to make a new version (previously done with "Save As") using the old version as a template.

That being the case, one simply duplicates then closes the old file. Using "save" now functions EXACTLY like "Save As" did, letting you rename the new version. It's one tiny extra step (clicking off the old version) but a lot more safety and file protection IMO.
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
The "lock" function you refer to only affects Apple applications such as Pages. It's actually a brilliant idea -- completely removes the risk of accidentally overwriting a file.
Well, with all due respect to the researchers at Apple, I don't find the idea to be quite so brilliant -- which is why I turned it off as soon as I realized what was happening.

Quote:
Chances are, if you're re-opening a file you haven't edited in "X" number of weeks, this is likely to be what you actually want -- to make a new version (previously done with "Save As") using the old version as a template.
That's a mighty big assumption, I think. As one part of my job, I maintain websites for clients. Sometimes I don't return to the same project more than once every few months when a client has a design change, or content edit that they can't handle themselves for some reason. That's what happened yesterday. I needed to edit a PNG for a Lightbox script. So I open it in Photoshop, and the file is wholly uneditable. "WTF is going on?" I'm thinking. So I do some investigating online. The file is locked. Time Machine's the culprit. I grumble and start looking for a fix....

Quote:
That being the case, one simply duplicates then closes the old file. Using "save" now functions EXACTLY like "Save As" did, letting you rename the new version. It's one tiny extra step (clicking off the old version) but a lot more safety and file protection IMO.
Sure, I could duplicate it -- but why in the world would I want to pollute my directories with needless copies of things that I'm just going to end up renaming to the original anyway?

Prior Operation: Open, modify, save - move onto the next thing.

Current Operation: Open, try to modify, bang my head against the wall, close, open Finder, duplicate the file, open the duplicate, modify the duplicate, save the duplicate, close the duplicate, delete the original, rename the duplicate.

Surely this isn't the way Apple intended to make things "better"...

There must be a terminal command or automator program or something to make this nightmare end?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

+1. Agree with member Shikarnov. Not only do I consider this not "brilliant", it's a pain. I certainly don't need to have my "hand held" with file management. Another Lion annoyance in my opinion. Hopefully this will be corrected in the future.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New MBP - no Lion disc and reboot | Tritton ax720 mic issues with Mac only »