New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

New MBP - no Lion disc and reboot

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vaughan80

vaughan80 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.

Hi all,

I got a new macbook pro in August complete with Lion, direct from Apple. The machine didn't come with any discs (apprently they no longer supply them with new machines).
I have had a heap of trouble with my machine (running very slow, since day 1). I want to revert the OS back to Snow Leopard which I have the disc for, and am prepared to do a complete format of my HD.

However - if I later wanted to go back to Lion, or if everything goes wrong, how do I do this without a disc?
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

There's no guanrantee that Snow Leopard will run on that computer!!!
Retail Snow Leopard DVDs only have drivers/support files for computers released Before the retail DVD. There's a good possibility that the motherboard has changed, which means "some" drivers changed (I don't know which), so it wouldn't work.

Try booting into the recovery partition and using Disk Utility to repair your regular startup Volume.

You can create your own DVD or USB flash drive:
How to Create & Burn a Bootable Mac OS X Lion Install DVD
http://holgr.com/blog/2011/02/creati...0-7-lion-disc/
QUOTE Thanks
vaughan80

vaughan80 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.

so there is no chance that snow leopard will run on my mac? that sucks.

I hate lion.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Snow Leopard will not run on that machine as there are no drivers on the Snow Leopard DVD which support your hardware. Unfortunately you're stuck with Lion. Try a fresh clean install of Lion from the Recovery partition. Be sure to use Time Machine first to backup your data.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Proper way to delete user accounts? | Locked Files »