New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

New categories in Finder

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thecoloroflight

thecoloroflight is on a distinguished road

Hi. This could be in the wrong section -- apologies if so. And also this is a very simple question, I think. I am wondering if, in Finder, there is a way to add new categories regarding the sorting of files. I am talking about this area Screen shot 2012-01-27 at 8.48.07 AM.png

In iTunes, you can Control-click this category section and it gives you a long list of options for sorting. How come you can't do this in Finder ?

Thanks !
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

You failed to indicate which version of OS X you are running, but you most certainly can do it at least in Lion.

Sort.jpg

It appears from your screen cap that you are running Snow Leopard or earlier. I can't say that it is supposed to be there in your case, but I assume you tried right-clicking at the top of a column, where the sorting option's name is?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
thecoloroflight

Yeah, it's strange. I Control-click on the headers and it does nothing other than act as a normal click.

I am running 10.6.8. I can't identify the animal associated with this OS, though

http://lindorffellery.wordpress.com
http://noticerecordings.com
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoloroflight View Post
Yeah, it's strange. I Control-click on the headers and it does nothing other than act as a normal click.

I am running 10.6.8. I can't identify the animal associated with this OS, though
You have Snow Leopard. The extra sorting options while searching must be a new feature of 10.7 (Lion).

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
thecoloroflight

That's pretty crazy, that they wouldn't give you an option regarding how you sort files. I mean, I always have "Name" and "Kind", but sometimes it's "Date Modified" and sometimes it's "Last Opened". What about "Size", "Date Created", "Date Added", etc. Oh well. I'll just work with it.

This Mac was given to me for free, so I shouldn't complain !

QUOTE Thanks
madwolfe

madwolfe is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 20" iMac, Late 2007, 2.4GHz (Dual Core), 1GB RAM, Radeon 2600HD OSX 10.6.8

Guys, a quick cmd+j to display view options will have a section called Show Columns. In this you have tick boxes beside each option.

Apple probably introduced the Lion to retain fluidity between apps as well as supurflouise (My new word) an obscure options box.
QUOTE Thanks
thecoloroflight

Ah, good. Thanks

Wish there was a way to apply it permanently to all windows...

QUOTE Thanks
madwolfe

Mac Specs: 20" iMac, Late 2007, 2.4GHz (Dual Core), 1GB RAM, Radeon 2600HD OSX 10.6.8

Quote:
Ah, good. Thanks

I'm away from my Mac at the moment but isn't there a button which is 'set as default' or similar?

I'll check it out for you later if I can remember
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
That's pretty crazy, that they wouldn't give you an option regarding how you sort files. I mean, I always have "Name" and "Kind", but sometimes it's "Date Modified" and sometimes it's "Last Opened". What about "Size", "Date Created", "Date Added", etc. Oh well. I'll just work with it.
Well they do as madwolfe pointed out, but it's not dead obvious. The functionality in Finder has been a sore point for years, but at least they made some progress with Lion finally. Since my memory is fuzzy on the details, I'll let madwolfe finish helping you out.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
thecoloroflight

Thanks a bunch

QUOTE Thanks
madwolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Since my memory is fuzzy on the details, I'll let madwolfe finish helping you out.
The pressure!

Quote:
Ah, good. Thanks

Well I just quickly checked for you and there is the button that is described as "Set As Defaults" however it doesn't seem to work as you would expect it to.

My solution to the problem (I personally don't use Finder) is Path Finder which does have this functionality you want plus a whole lot more. It is what I use day to day and cannot live without. Of course, it may not be a massive problem for you and you may not be a massive power user which would warrant a switch however, it is on the table (And I am waiting for the Path Finder guys to pass me the money under the table for selling their product )
QUOTE Thanks
thecoloroflight

Ha, no, I would not describe me as a Power User. It's hard for me to imagine how you would not use Finder ! Anyway, yeah, the Set as Default button doesn't really work. Weird. I'll just cope.

I will look into Path Finder...

Thanks again !

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Speakers Only Partially Working | Later 2006 MacBooks running Lion? »