Thread: Malware?

Hello everyone,

Quick question regarding something I encountered last night. I was typing in a channel address for Youtube and pressed enter to take me to the page. I instead was taken to what looked like an ad, featuring the youtube logo, but clearly not an official ad of any kind. My friend who was with me said I probably had Malware on my iMac. I've scanned with Clamxav and it found nothing, but then that's an antivirus...any suggestions to see what on earth it was I stumbled upon?

27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air 2, AppleTV2
    It's unlikely to be anything sinister.

Can you recreate the problem?
    External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post

The Republic of Neptune
    You don't necessarily have malware, although there are a couple that do DNS re-routing. It's possible your router may be what's compromised, or even your ISP's DNS server.

You can change the DNS settings on your Mac and/or on your router to the ones for OpenDNS if you like. Their servers are:

You'll have to resort to your router's documentation on how to change the DNS server to the custom one. For on your Mac.. do a Google search for: How To Change DNS Settings Mac

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Thread Information