New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Time Machine

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rld88

rld88 is on a distinguished road

Hello, I just bought a 1t external hard drive work great. I plugged it in and time machine asked me if I wanted to use as a back up and I clicked ask me later. Well now that Im wanting to set it up I cant seem to get it to work. I go into system pref, click on time machine and it only recognizes my boot camp. Please help me out, Thanks!! Also it does recognize it any where else ex. finder and pops up on desktop.
QUOTE Thanks
rld88

Its a seagate freeagent goflex
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Unless the Seagate 1 TB drive is formatted as HFS + (Mac OS Extended Journaled), Time Machine will not use it. Reformat the drive from NTFS to the Mac format by using Disk Utility and Time Machine should work with it.
QUOTE Thanks
YosemiteSam81

YosemiteSam81 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Air, 1.7GHz i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD; iPhone 4s; iPod Classic 6th Gen

What chscag said. I did the same thing you did when I first purchased the drive. Once I decided what I wanted to do with it I went to disk utility to format and partition the drive so I could keep my music on a portion of it.

It gives you all the info you need there in disk utility to set it up with Time Machine. Just plug the drive in and select it in Disk Utility and it gives you all the options. Best of luck!

"It is wrong always, everywhere, and for anyone, to believe anything upon insufficient evidence."- William Kingdon Clifford
QUOTE Thanks
rld88

how do I go about on reformatting it in disk utility?
QUOTE Thanks
YosemiteSam81

YosemiteSam81 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Air, 1.7GHz i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD; iPhone 4s; iPod Classic 6th Gen

Select the drive in Disk Utility and go to the Erase menu. There it will ask you what format you want to use and I believe you select Mac OS Extended (journaled).

This is from memory so it may not be exact. A quick search will get you your answer much quicker than waiting here!

"It is wrong always, everywhere, and for anyone, to believe anything upon insufficient evidence."- William Kingdon Clifford
QUOTE Thanks
rld88

Well there are two drives it says 1 TB seagate and then when I installed it the other one is Roberts External HD same drive though but which one do I do it to?But then once I select Mac OS Extended Journaled do i just click erase?
QUOTE Thanks
rld88

bump?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Check out ATPM 17.05 - How To: Using the Free Disk Utility on Your Mac. I wrote it some time ago as an intro to Disk Utility. Perhaps it will clear up the confusion for you.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cannot access HTTPS websites over WiFi | Switching to lion »