New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Finding multiple files at once

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Feee99

Feee99 is on a distinguished road

If I have a long list of file names entered in one text file, along the left edge like this:

13445.mov
13566.mov
13768.mov
13790.mov
etc.

How would I search for all of these files at the same time? Is it possible in Spotlight? Surely there's a better way than searching one at a time... the reason I'm doing this is I have the files in many different folders and need to separate this particular set of filenames out from all the various locations.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

You need to use a different search tool. The best one, hands down, is EasyFind. And it's free!
Freeware applications and services for Mac - DEVONtechnologies

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

can't you search for ".mov"?
QUOTE Thanks
Feee99

If I search for .mov, that would give me many more results than the list that I have...
QUOTE Thanks
Feee99

Easy Find worked great, and thank you for the recommendation!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light

It doesn't seem that Spotlight accepts * as a "wildcard" they way DOS did.
QUOTE Thanks
erickp

erickp is on a distinguished road

Is it possible to search multiple files at once? For example, I have a list of 6 files that I need to search for in a specific folder. Is there a way to just copy the files names from the spreadsheet and copy them into "EasyFind" and search for all them in one shot? I know it's a similar issue as above but I can't seem to figure out how to accomplish this in "EasyFind". I also looked into "TotalFinder" by BinaryAge but can't get a clear answer. Any help is appreciated.

Example:

product_01.jpg
product_23.jpg
product_24.jpg
product_46.jpg
product_48.jpg
product_51.jpg

Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickp View Post
Is it possible to search multiple files at once?
Not that I am aware of. I tested the few ideas I had... no luck.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
trendaway

trendaway is on a distinguished road

I figured this out. I can let you know what I did - let me know in a reply to the thread.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by trendaway View Post
I figured this out. I can let you know what I did - let me know in a reply to the thread.
Curious.
Who are you replying to?
Did you know that the post before yours is a year and a half old? (give or take)
If you figured something out, why not post your solution? Even in a revived thread like this, maybe someone will find it while searching.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trying to Install OSX on Macbook Air? | Macbook Pro froze, can't reboot »