Struggling with pdf download from website

Hello. I am having difficulty downloading pdf files from the Internet. May have started (not sure) when I upgraded Safari. It appears that the website attempts to download the pdf but I get a black screen without the document. When using the option to download directly to desktop, it works for some sites but not others. For those that do not work, it downloads a useless track.php.html file. I googled the problem and could not find this particular issue. First time poster so I apologize if I am in the wrong forum. Thanks !

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    How about posting the URL of one of the websites you're attempting to download from so we can run some tests?

A bit of info: Downloading a PDF is just a matter of selecting it and using the save command. Updating Safari should make no difference. But if you feel there is a problem with Safari, try using another browser as a test. Firefox or Chrome for example.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Have you installed any plugins lately? I ask because, by default, Safari has a built in PDF viewer and I've seen problems occur when there are plugin conflicts.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Here are an example:

https://www.cags-accg.ca/ebrs_crs_on...y_articles.php

Not positive it will let you in because it is a password-protected site. I am looking to download the pdf article entitled: Sleep Deprivation in Surgeons under January 2012. But I have the same issues with any of the pdf files on this page. If this does not work, I will try to find another example.

I do not think I have downloaded any plug-ins recently but am not positive.

Thanks again.

Specs:
    Provide another example web site as that one is for members only. Also, have you tried another browser as I suggested above? It's always a good idea to keep a spare browser on hand just for occasions when you think it's a browser problem.

Maybe we can try this. Go to ASCRS: American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons. (ASCRS = fascrs.org) In the column on the right toward the bottom is a link to Evidence Based Reviews in Surgery. When you click on that link the same thing happens. Black page. I do not know if this is a pdf file, but this is what happens. And not all pdf files are a problem. Just the ones I seem to need to download. I am able to successfully download from one of the hospital PCs but I would like to do it with my Mac. When I try Firefox, I get a page with a question mark in the middle surrounded by a Q. I am not making this easy, am I. Thanks again.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    In the meantime, use Chrome since it has a built in PDF viewer. That will give you a workable browser until this problem is fixed (unless of course you choose to stay with Chrome).

As noted above, have you installed any plugins lately?
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    I just went to that site and clicked on the link you suggested. It opened with Safari and it opened OK again when I used Chrome. There must be something else going on with your system.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Chances are high that at some point the OP installed the dreaded Acrobat Reader and its default plug-in. That's a heck of a mess to clean up (shakes fist at Adobe).

Sorry vansmith. I am not computer savvy and am not sure about plug-ins. I have updated Acrobat Reader a couple times and if that includes a plug-in, that may be the case. I vaguely remember now that the problem may have started around the time I updated Acrobat Reader. I will try Chrome and will stop by the Apple Store to see if there is anything else I can do about Acrobat. Thanks again to all of you.

Downloading Chrome solved the problem and it works much faster than Safari on my computer. You guys rock. Thanks.

Thread Information