Can I use disk utility from Lion CD for a Snow Leopard installed MacBook Pro?
    My MacBook Pro which is running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 is having some issues starting up. I've tried various things and the only thing left to try is to boot up into the installation CD and run Disk Utility.

Problem is, I've misplaced my Snow Leopard disk... So I'm in the apple store about to purchase a new Snow Leopard disk when I see stuff about Lion on there. So I'm wondering whether I should just buy the Lion CD so that I can upgrade to it when/if I get my mac fixed. Of course, the question is, can I run disk utility from the Lion installation CD for my Snow Leopard MacBook Pro?

Thanks!

Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by sinovera View Post
    My MacBook Pro which is running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 is having some issues starting up. I've tried various things and the only thing left to try is to boot up into the installation CD and run Disk Utility.

Problem is, I've misplaced my Snow Leopard disk... So I'm in the apple store about to purchase a new Snow Leopard disk when I see stuff about Lion on there. So I'm wondering whether I should just buy the Lion CD so that I can upgrade to it when/if I get my mac fixed. Of course, the question is, can I run disk utility from the Lion installation CD for my Snow Leopard MacBook Pro?

Thanks!
    No such thing as a Lion CD (or DvD for that matter). Lion is available via electronic download or USB Flashdrive only.

As far as using Disk Utility it shouldn't matter (or at least I don't think it matters), but if you want to upgrade the OS on your MBP you need to make sure you meet the minimum hardware specs, Intel Core 2 Duo and 2 GB of RAM.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Ah I had no idea it was a digital upgrade! Thanks for the reply

Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by sinovera View Post
    Ah I had no idea it was a digital upgrade! Thanks for the reply
    You can buy it on USB for $69, but IMO better off to get the Snow Leopard DvD for $29 and then do an electronic upgrade via the Mac APP Store for another $29 if you decide to move to Lion
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Thread Information