Memory almost full - Loss of all files
    Hello,

The other day I got a message letting me know that I needed to delete some things because my memory was almost full. The next day I turned on my computer and all of my files were gone! I downloaded this program that recovered all my deleted files, but I need to purchase it to actually get them back on my computer. This must mean that they are somewhere... right? Is there any way I can get them myself?

Thanks verily,
    Joshua

Specs:
    late 2012 mini w/SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh97816 View Post
    Is there any way I can get them myself?
    No - and your chances of getting ALL your files isn't that great. Pay for it.

BTW - don't confuse terms - memory is RAM - on the motherboard, used by the processor for immediate access. Hard drive space is called storage space.

Specs:
    Macbook Pro 15"
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh97816 View Post
    Hello,

The other day I got a message letting me know that I needed to delete some things because my memory was almost full. The next day I turned on my computer and all of my files were gone! I downloaded this program that recovered all my deleted files, but I need to purchase it to actually get them back on my computer. This must mean that they are somewhere... right? Is there any way I can get them myself?

Thanks verily,
    Joshua
    What was the message exactly? Can you take a picture of the screen? What "recovery" software did you install? It sounds suspiciously like extortion ware. It tells you it can recover the files - if and only if you pay? Sounds like crap to me.
    Can you get into Disk utility and run a check on the drive?

Specs:
    late 2012 mini w/SSD

Specs:
    MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
    To me this sounds like there is a problem with the hard drive. As far as recovering the files, there should be some free programs available you just have to look around.

Here is some helpful information about doing data recovery. Never recover the data to the drive that lost the data, use an external drive. The way it works is the data is still on the drive, but the table at the beginning to tell where it is has been wiped, so the space is usable, but something exist there which will quickly overwrite. Most people don't know that this is what happens when you delete files on your computer. So if you start recovering data to the same drive you will begin wiping over the data on the drive and there is about a 99% chance it will be wiping over different files.

Specs:
    2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
    What "recovery" software did you install? It sounds suspiciously like extortion ware. It tells you it can recover the files - if and only if you pay? Sounds like crap to me.
    Both DataRescue3 and DiskDrill have demo periods in where they will show you what files it can recover and then you can make up your mind if you really want to buy it.
    I mean would you really want to buy a 100$ recovery software only to find out it can't recover a single file for some reason?

OP:
    One question, are these files on your internal HD? I wonder because the only thing I know that starts deleting files if the HD is full is TimeMachine.

As to recovering:
    Bear in mind that whatever a Recovery Software recovers will VERY like be not bootable (Aka no complete OS that will work), if your lucky it will recover most or all of your files which you can then move from your external HD.

So this is how I would tackle this.

#1 Get a external HD that is (ideally) double of what you have in your computer. So on my case, I have a 250 GB HD, so I would get a 500 GB to be on the safe side and not run out of space when the recovery software is running.

#2 Get either DataRescue3 (Highly recommend by regulars here) or DiskDrill Pro (A newish application, but also very good in getting back data)

#3 Run it and have it recover files to your external HD

#4 Copy back your files files, OR and I'd recommend this so you don't have the same space problem again.

#4 Get a significantly bigger internal HD for your Mac, Macsales.com has good replacement guides and HD's.

#5 Swap the HD's, reinstall Mac OS, start bringing back your files that the recovery software recovered.
    Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
    Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
    The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
    I have to agree with McYukon and his steps for data recovery. I would not just stick with Macsales.com as a supplier for hard drives, I use newegg.com the are usually the cheapest and tigerdirect.com also has them on sale every now and then. With them you have to know what you are looking for though. Just shop around before ordering.

If you are looking at replacing or upgrading the drive, just post back with What model computer you have and me or someone else would be able to tell you what to look for.

Specs:
    Macbook Pro 15"
    Quote Originally Posted by McYukon View Post
    Both DataRescue3 and DiskDrill have demo periods in where they will show you what files it can recover and then you can make up your mind if you really want to buy it.
    I mean would you really want to buy a 100$ recovery software only to find out it can't recover a single file for some reason?

Sounds like an attempt to extort desperate people who need their data recovered.
    I can't hep but think, the "preview" version would be overly optimistic when it told the user how many and which files it could recover.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Quote Originally Posted by TechieJustin View Post
    Sounds like an attempt to extort desperate people who need their data recovered.
    I can't hep but think, the "preview" version would be overly optimistic when it told the user how many and which files it could recover.
    I can't speak for those apps but used a couple in Trial and they Showed everything that could be recovered and when paid for, they did recover it all.

Quote Originally Posted by McYukon View Post

OP:
    One question, are these files on your internal HD? I wonder because the only thing I know that starts deleting files if the HD is full is TimeMachine.

As to recovering:
    Bear in mind that whatever a Recovery Software recovers will VERY like be not bootable (Aka no complete OS that will work), if your lucky it will recover most or all of your files which you can then move from your external HD.

So this is how I would tackle this.

#1 Get a external HD that is (ideally) double of what you have in your computer. So on my case, I have a 250 GB HD, so I would get a 500 GB to be on the safe side and not run out of space when the recovery software is running.

#2 Get either DataRescue3 (Highly recommend by regulars here) or DiskDrill Pro (A newish application, but also very good in getting back data)

#3 Run it and have it recover files to your external HD

#4 Copy back your files files, OR and I'd recommend this so you don't have the same space problem again.

#4 Get a significantly bigger internal HD for your Mac, Macsales.com has good replacement guides and HD's.

#5 Swap the HD's, reinstall Mac OS, start bringing back your files that the recovery software recovered.

I'm going to try this. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

Thread Information