Trying to reinstall Lion or Snow Leopard
    I have a late 2010 iMac 21.5. I'm about to sell it so I wanted to reinstall Snow Leopard and restore the drive to it's original out of the box state. I've made a mess of things and now I cannot re-install Snow Leopard or even Lion. I'm left with 2 .dmg images that I cannot eject or close. I've tried erasing the drive and also setting up a new partition. No matter what the files have me locked up and the Mac just keeps repeating the pattern. How can I resolve this? Thanks

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    Why do you have .DMG of Snow Leopard? Lion I can understand..but you should have the original disc that came with your iMac that you can use to restore to it's original OS..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Specs:
    2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.11
    Simple question ... do you have the original installation DVD's that came with the machine ?
    If not, I suggest you go an buy a retail copy op Snow Leopard and install from there.

Cheers ... McBie
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by McBie View Post
    Simple question ... do you have the original installation DVD's that came with the machine ?
    If not, I suggest you go an buy a retail copy op Snow Leopard and install from there.

Cheers ... McBie
    I do have the original DVDs but still can't get it to work. At least if it's trying to it seems to hang up.

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB flash memory, 3.3GHz, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra beta.
    Okay boot from the SL DVD and run Repair Disk from there and see what is reported. If all is well and good, go to Utilities > Disk Utility and erase the disk, formatting Mac OS Extended (Journalled), into Partition, and under Option ensure the partition map is set to GUID. Then sell the computer with a clean hard drive and the discs and let the new owner do a clean install.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

I cannot boot from the SL DVD, the installation hangs at the screen that displays the Apple logo.

Here's what my start up screen looks like once I get to disk utility;
    500.11 gv wdc
    mac os x install dvd
    Super Drive
    mac os x install DVD

disk2
    Mac OS x install ESD
    disk 3
    mac os x base system
    ( what a mess!!)

I cannot unmount nor can I erase when I'm able to get to the disk utility function

Error rreads disk erase failed cannot unmount disk

DUH, DUH and DUH!!! After trying every suggestion, I thought am I using the right DVD? NO I wasn't, I hunted down the correct DVD and SL has been restored, the iMac now ready for sale. Thanks for your input!

Go Pats!!

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB flash memory, 3.3GHz, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra beta.
    Don't worry Steve that is a common problem with more than one lot of discs on hand. Was to be the next question did the disc come with this machine?
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information