New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Restore specific files from time machine backup

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jhorra

Jhorra is on a distinguished road

So I was beginning to have problems with my mac and decided to do a fresh install. I did a final backup, wiped the hard drive and installed Lion. Now I want to restore specific files from Time Machine, but I don't see options like that. There was Users, applications, settings and "Other files". I chose other files thinking that would let me choose, but it just went straight to transferring. I have no idea what it's transferring. Is there a way to choose specific files?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

When you open Time Machine and select a date to restore from, you should see a Finder like view of that particular backup. Navigate through the backup the same way as you would through the Finder and choose the folder or files you wish to restore.
QUOTE Thanks
Jhorra

Yes but that's when you're browsing through your own backup. After the fresh install it doesn't see it as my back up, so I can't do it the normal way.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You did the restore incorrectly. What you should have done is wiped the hard drive, booted from the Lion Recovery partition, and then done a full restore from your Time Machine backup (one of the options of the Lion Recovery Partition).
QUOTE Thanks
Jhorra

I didn't want to do a full restore. I just wanted to restore specific files.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Open Time Machine with your external backup disk connected.
Inside Time Machine, browse to the day from which you want to restore data
( Right hand side )
Inside the finder in Time Machine, browse to the file/folder you want to restore and click Restore

Job Done.

PS. Once in Time Machine, it can take a few minutes before the history ( days on the right hand side ) are loaded, so be patient.

If after a re-install your Time Machine is empty, do a right click on the Time Machine icon on the dock and select "Browse Other Time Machine Disks ".

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

That's what I suggested in my reply above but he states it isn't working because he installed fresh and now it doesn't "see" his backup.
QUOTE Thanks
Jhorra

In the end here's what I did:
1. Since it was a time capsule it only shows as a mounted drive when time machine was using it, so I would have to activate time machine so the drive would mount.
2. At this point I could see all the folders in time machine, but when I tried to copy files out of the folder it would say I didn't have permission to view them.
3. To get around this I had to use the console to launch finder as the administrator
4. This would let me copy the files from Time Machine to my local disk.
5. When copied this way the permissions were messed up, so I would have to modify the permissions on any file I retrieved using get info.
QUOTE Thanks
Jhorra

As stated above, since I did a fresh install it didn't see the previous back ups as being for my machine, so I couldn't use the regular time machine interface to retrieve them.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBie View Post
Open Time Machine with your external backup disk connected.
Inside Time Machine, browse to the day from which you want to restore data
( Right hand side )
Inside the finder in Time Machine, browse to the file/folder you want to restore and click Restore

Job Done.

PS. Once in Time Machine, it can take a few minutes before the history ( days on the right hand side ) are loaded, so be patient.

If after a re-install your Time Machine is empty, do a right click on the Time Machine icon on the dock and select "Browse Other Time Machine Disks ".

Cheers ... McBie
This saved me HOURS of frustration! Somehow when I moved all my iTunes media from my MBP to an off-computer location, a good number of albums got misplaced or deleted or something. After reading this post I went home and gave it a shot and BAM, 132 albums replaced - no need to call for a new download.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Glad it helped you out Brad .

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Yeah! It was the best thing to happen to me in a week (yeah, my life is nuts).

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
SABOND21

SABOND21 is on a distinguished road

I have question:

I have Movies folder and Music folder and I want Time Machine to backup only new files in these folders automatically, because I am working with music projects and I don't like to copy projects manually.
QUOTE Thanks
salmizy

salmizy is on a distinguished road

Jhorra i've been having the same exact problem!!! please let me know if you were able to find a solution for it! tit4tat_91@hotmail.com
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABOND21 View Post
I have question:

I have Movies folder and Music folder and I want Time Machine to backup only new files in these folders automatically, because I am working with music projects and I don't like to copy projects manually.
Are you saying that you want Time Machine to back up new files in only these two folders? If so, simply exclude all other folders from the backup. See this article and read the section Putting Time Machine on a Diet,

Once you exclude folders that you don't want to back up Time Machine backs up what's left. The first time it backs up al the content of those folders. On each subsequent backup only new / modified files are copied to the backup. A pointer is made to the location of unchanged files. This saves space or the backup size would quickly get out of control.

Keep in mind that any files in the excluded folders are not backed up. Make sure they are either backed up elsewhere or unimportant.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac OS not loading and asking to reboot | Automator »