New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Advise about my PowerBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

marka17

marka17 is on a distinguished road

I currently own a PowerBook G4 - running on 10.4.11 - it's a PowerPC.

Now it doesn't run the latest Flash updates which has led me to realise that I have been very stupid and should have upgraded to Leopard back in the day. Now I can't watch most videos and weirdly today i've stopped being able to attach files on gmail (apparently thats flash related also)

My questions are
1. If I spend the money on an upgrade to 10.5 Leopard will that then support the latest flash?
2. Not being Intel is 10.5 Leopard the furthest it will go - from what I can tell PowerPC doesn't support Snow Leopard - true?

I'm getting the feeling PowerPC's are a bit of a dead end now and I need think about buying a new mac!
QUOTE Thanks
_Stormin

_Stormin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule

You're correct on number 2. Snow Leopard only supports Intel based Macs.

As for number one, do note that Leopard is quite expensive these days, and if you know that you're going to be upgrading your Mac at some point in the near future, you may want to put the cost of the upgrade towards the purchase of a newer Intel based Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
marka17

marka17 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I thought as much.

Yeah it is pretty pricey - luckily gmail is working fine now - nothing to do with flash, everything to do with me being dim! - so think I can hold off a little longer.

I see my bank account getting decidedly smaller in the near future though!
QUOTE Thanks
_Stormin

_Stormin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule

If budget is an issue I can't help but recommend Apple's refurb store as an option too. The one year warranty alone is worth more than you would save buying from eBay/craigslist/etc...
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Just to add. Upgrading to Leopard won't make any difference to Flash. Adobe have just stopped supporting the Power PC architecture, regardless of the OS you use.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Finder Dock Icon Distorted | Snow Leopard not showing full memory? »