New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How to Partition without Formatting or Losing Data

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

harisdozz

harisdozz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13" Late-2010 (256GB)

Hello all,

I have a MacBook Air 13" with 256GB SSD. I have currently installed the OS to that. I have all my files in that. I would like to partition it to 2 partitions without Formatting or losing any data which is in that disk.

Any help?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Disk Utility can do it without losing data, although you should NEVER assume it will go flawlessly. Make a backup first.

Before you can split the drive, it may need defragmenting. There's a crude way to do it by cloning your drive to an external backup; boot off the backup; wipe the internal drive; then clone the external drive back over. For this method, use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner (be sure to use the beta versions to preserve the Lion Recovery Partition!!!!) Or you can get a defragger. The best one IMO is iDefrag, although TechTool Pro has a capable defrag module also.

Read more here:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/com.shirtpoc...gmentation.pdf

A warning here. I know that at least for Carbon Copy Cloner, the current version doesn't preserve the Lion Recovery Partition. I found this out the hard way. From what I've learned since, there is a beta version that will preserve it.
Will CCC clone the "Recovery HD" partition on Lion? / Frequently Asked Questions and Troubleshooting / Knowledge Base - Bombich Software Support

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
harisdozz

harisdozz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13" Late-2010 (256GB)

So, How do we do it in the Disk Utility? I still don't get the idea? Like in Windows, We have an option to do it.
QUOTE Thanks
dobby

dobby is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad

Start the disk utility .
Choose disk using the factory name you like to partition
Than option partition .
Than option + on the bottom side
ON the right side is a symbol drag it to point you like to have it , meaning how big should that new partition be .
Than option Apply .
Do not stop this process until it is stop on its own
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

@lifeisabeach

The last two betas of CCC (I'm using the latest) will preserve the Recovery partition. It shows up as an option.

Also, I have read that using a defrag tool on an SSD is not recommended. What have you heard? (I have a copy of iDefrag.)
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
@lifeisabeach

The last two betas of CCC (I'm using the latest) will preserve the Recovery partition. It shows up as an option.
Yep… when I found my Recovery partition went missing after cloning over a clean reinstall of Lion on a second partition, I found that I would have needed the beta version to preserve it. They really shouldn't be claiming 3.4.3 is Lion ready.

Quote:
Also, I have read that using a defrag tool on an SSD is not recommended. What have you heard? (I have a copy of iDefrag.)
Ah… I forgot he had an SSD. I haven't read anything one way or the other, but I can't imagine doing a defrag would help on those. Thanks for the catch. He may have to do something to compact the files though if they are spread all over. Or maybe not? I have no SSD experience. Must rectify that…

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

OWC certainly advise not to defray or clone an SSD for what it is worth.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Harry: Does OWC give any kind of explanation why they don't recommend using a defrag program or for that matter cloning? I'm just curious as to why they claim that? And is that their advice for just their SSDs or is it a general thing?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lion app states keep coming back to old save | Parallels desktop 6 »