New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How do I move not copy?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacLover2011

MacLover2011 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: i Mac OS X Lion

I want to move folders around from my desktop to my documents folder. However, I don't want to copy it to a new location, just move it. Is there a way to do this?
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Spellbinder

Spellbinder will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mid-2011 27'' iMac, 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

While holding down the command key, hilite the folder/file to be moved and drag and drop.

works for me.

My Original Music:
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Hmmm...for me, drag and drop moves it, while drag and drop with the Option/Alt key held down copies it.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyGem View Post
Hmmm...for me, drag and drop moves it, while drag and drop with the Option/Alt key held down copies it.
Same here, since we're talking about folders on the same volume.

If you want to copy to another volume, just drag. To move instead, hold down the Command key and drag.
QUOTE Thanks
Spellbinder

Mac Specs: Mid-2011 27'' iMac, 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

I thought that's what I said. Perhaps I was to descriptive.

My Original Music:
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light

No, the OP asked about moving folders around on the same volume.

I suppose things may have changed in Lion, but AFAIK dragging from the Desktop to a location on the same volume should not require holding down any key for the item to just be moved, but would require a modifier to copy.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
No, the OP asked about moving folders around on the same volume.

I suppose things may have changed in Lion, but AFAIK dragging from the Desktop to a location on the same volume should not require holding down any key for the item to just be moved, but would require a modifier to copy.
It hasn't, at least not in my experience.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Spellbinder

My mistake. I thought the OP was talking about moving elsewhere. I should have payed a bit more attention there. Apologies.

As far as moving files and folders from the desktop to the documents folder, a simple drag and drop works for me using Lion.

My Original Music:
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLover2011 View Post
I want to move folders around from my desktop to my documents folder. However, I don't want to copy it to a new location, just move it. Is there a way to do this?
Thanks
Ok, if the OP ever comes back...

That seems to at least imply that a simple drag and drop is copying things. If that's the case, I'd say two different volumes are involved.
QUOTE Thanks
Ylwf3vr

Ylwf3vr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" White MacBook (May07), 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / iPhone 4 / iPad 2

Well I'm new to the Mac world so my problem is this:

I downloaded few things from Safari. Those downloads (or "setup" files in Windows talk) went straight to my desktop. Now in the Windows world, I can create a folder and name it "Misc", drag/drop it and itll get cleared from my desktop to that folder. I did that on my MacBook and it just copy/pasted it to that folder. How can I "move" these?

Since the programs were installed can I just trash these without any future issues?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

With you saying 'setup files' are we talking about the contents of a disc image here?

Because a file or folder dragged from one place to another on the same volume WILL move. Not copy.

However, if you're dragging something from a mounted disk image (which is read-only by definition) then the file will be copied.

Can you give us a named example of one of these downloaded files?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Ylwf3vr

Mac Specs: 13" White MacBook (May07), 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / iPhone 4 / iPad 2

One is Firefox another is AdbeRdr1012en_US another is Perian 1.2.3
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Those are all disk images and as such, read-only.

To install most software on Mac:
Download the dmg (disk image)
Mount the image ( this may happen automatically and you'll see it appear on your desktop and in the left sidebar in finder)
Install the software (this is normally just a case of dragging the app to the folder shown or directly to the applications folder, but some come withan installer. Either way the onscreen instructions will tell you what to do when you open the image on your desktop or in finder)
Once installed the image can be ejected (by dragging it to thrash to eject of hitting the eject icon in the sidebar in finder)
The mounted image will now disappear from the desktop but the original downloaded Dmg file will be in your downloads folder, you can move, copy or delete this at will

More info here:
http://guides.macrumors.com/Installi...ns_in_Mac_OS_X

Just for info, preview (built into OSX) does a great job of view and manipulating PDF files. Chances are you don't near Adobe Reader anyway

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Ylwf3vr

Great thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ylwf3vr View Post
Since the programs were installed can I just trash these without any future issues?
Maybe. Yes, you can delete them and the installed apps will not be affected by that action. But, if you need to reinstall, you'll obviously have to download again, whereas if you keep them, you won't.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Difference between 10.7 for iMac & 10.7 for Macbook Pro?!?! | Mac OS x Lion - Network & sharing Windows7 »