New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

What is this message?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joebro123

joebro123 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook (2010), 2gb RAM, 250gb HDD, 256mb Graphics,

Hello everybody, I've got a problem with my macbook.

I bought a macbook off my school recently after its contract ended, and I requested that they didn't wipe it and just remove their programs so I didn't have to backup and restore. Anyway, they didn't appear to get rid of everything. I can't go in to see them because the school year is over for now, but I don't want to have to deal with it all holidays.
Anyway, its some sort of program inside the Operating system (It applies to all users). It was used by the IT guys to delete any applications that weren't part of their default set of applications. It deletes unwanted programs upon their launch. Can anyone help me fix this problem?

Picture of the popup:
http://i.imgur.com/jcXzJ.png
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

I would reckon the only way to get rid of that would be to do a new install of the OS.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
joebro123

Does it matter that I only have the install disks for Macbook pro and Mac Mini? (OS 10.6)
I was told that macs are very specific with the disks that you use with them.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

You would need the install disk that came with that Macbook or a retail version of OS X.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

I would go out for $29 and get a Retail OSX Snow Leopard DVD. That will solve it for you.

You could run Lion on that machine but it needs Snow Leopard for the App Store to download it. The $29 DVD will be your best deal.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

To backup what Dennis states, when you get a used machine, always format the hard drive and do a clean system install. If it is the MB in your avatar, buy and run Lion. May be better to spend $69 and get the USB thumb drive version. Otherwise you pay $29 fro Snow Leopard and another $29 to download Lion. For ten bucks having on a thumb drive is the way to go imho.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
_Stormin

_Stormin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
To backup what Dennis states, when you get a used machine, always format the hard drive and do a clean system install. If it is the MB in your avatar, buy and run Lion. May be better to spend $69 and get the USB thumb drive version. Otherwise you pay $29 fro Snow Leopard and another $29 to download Lion. For ten bucks having on a thumb drive is the way to go imho.
I can second this one. For the ten dollar difference, having the Lion backup drive would not be a terrible thing. Plus then you have a bootable thumb drive, which you would have to make yourself if you downloaded Lion.
QUOTE Thanks
joebro123

Thanks heaps for the help guys, it looks like I'll be buying a Lion USB drive. I just wondering for future reference though, do any of you have an idea of what the source of the popup is?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mail is a bit off after changing flash player | Database Daemon Fatal Error in office 2008 »