New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Airdrop inconsistencies (between older and newer MBP)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Before I ask for help, let me just state that I've read the release notes for Airdrop, and already know that it will not work with some Mac's pre-late 2008. I bought my MBP in June, 2009, it's the 4.1 version, which I think was made in late 2008 (likely but I'm not positive). My wife's MBP was purchase almost exactly a year later than mine.

I did have to evoke some code in Terminal to even get Airdrop to show up at all, and so I'm sure this has everything to do with the issue. What is happening, is that I can see my wife's MBP, but she can not see mine from Airdrop.

I figured that I'd ask here first, before even going to "The Google", in case someone has the answer and wants to share it with us. I might not be the only person with this issue, is what I figured... That said, I'm off to the ol' G to try and figure it out.

I'll Be Bock.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

You did this one?

defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterfaces 1

I believe you need to do it on BOTH systems to make them visible to each other both ways. Keep in mind, this does change over all behavior of AirDrop, and it can be reversed by changing the bit to 0

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Yep, that's the one. Curious, how exactly will it change the overall behavior?

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Well, what it does is set it so that it will allow AirDrop to any connection, wifi or ethernet. So this could potentially mean you'd see more Mac's available (not necessarily a bad thing). It now also means the Mac's need to be on the same network, which I do not believe to be the case for default function (if I recall correctly, it creates an AdHoc network between the two).

mike
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Just to add to what Mike said, I've got it running on a Mid 2011 iMac and an early 2008 MacBook. Both machines see each other OK and I've done a dozen or more file transfers without any problem.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Just to add to what Mike said, I've got it running on a Mid 2011 iMac and an early 2008 MacBook. Both machines see each other OK and I've done a dozen or more file transfers without any problem.
Did you have to enable the command line hack on the 2008 MB?

Would this also mean that they will no longer create an adhoc network? And thanks, Mike.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Yes, otherwise it will not work.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post

Would this also mean that they will no longer create an adhoc network? And thanks, Mike.

Doug
From what I've read, yep that seems to be the case. That said, I have not yet upgraded my 08 from Snow Leopard (and have no plans to really), so I can't personally verify that. Should be easy to test though. Just remove the association with the network you're on (on both machines) and try it

mike
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Finder - Background colour buttons locked | Please Help: Trouble Shooting With Administrator Password »