New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Launchpad Manager?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

Hi All,

I'm new to Lion, and I'm really enamored with the Launchpad feature. What I am not enamored with, however, is maintenance of it. I already got Launchpad Control to delete the very many items that I didn't need to appear. But rearranging the icons is taking absolutely forever. Dragging one at a time from screen to screen. That works well on an iPhone, perhaps, but not on a desktop.

Surely there has to be a better (faster) way... Does anybody know of one?

Thanks,

Z
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

You could try clearing out launchpad - then putting stuff back in the order you want.
Clearing Launchpad and other OS X Lion (10.7) Tips (gnuu.org)
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

Dude, that's brilliant. Thank you.

I don't suppose you might know of a way to navigate through list with the keyboard? I already mapped the app itself to F8. But from within it, I can't navigate without the mouse (except from page to page).
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Okay - Well your brilliance exposed a rather strange behavior. For some reason, Launchpad is deciding to put some things on one page and others on a second page.

For example, Chrome, when I added it, went in perfectly and took first position on the first page. Then I added iBooks Author, which took second position. Then Illustrator, which ended up on the second page (as did Acrobat, InDesign, and Photoshop).

Color me unsurprised to find out that Apple's Aperture and the App Store programs ended up on the first page, while Art Director's Toolkit went to the second page.

Something strange is going on here...
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Yeah I was using sqlitedbrowser to look at the db - and I am no expert at sql - but it seems there are hooks that put certain applications on certain pages within the db. But I am not sure where they are or how to modify it. Maybe someone with more sql experience could say something about it.
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

I don't think we need to try. It's pretty clear to me now that Launchpad is a nice idea that, uncharacteristically of Apple, is completely FUBAR. It just re-added everything I removed. I'm completely beside myself.

(sigh)

Thanks, again, for your help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac OS gettin stuck | Trash Bin Query »