New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

I can't delete 6 excel files from my desktop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

novik

novik is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,
I have a problem with 6 backup excel files that I can not take out from my desktop and this msg is popping-up

Untitled.jpg - 4shared.com - photo sharing - download image

I have all my application closed, the files are not locked.
I just don't understand what is wrong with them.

Thank you for your help in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

If you " right click " on the item you want to delete and do "get info ", then at the bottom you can see what permissions you have for that file.
What does it say ?

Another quick test is .... can you open the files in Excel, make changes to them and save them ?
Can you rename the files ?

I think this is a permission issue.

It will always help if you let us know what OS version you are running. -_-

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
novik

I can not do any of this!
No changes, no nothing.
I'm using latest version of Lion and i think that happened when i installed the new office.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all

Are you saying you can not do "right click" and " get info " on a file on your desktop ?

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
novik

I'm saying that after right click I can not clich on any of the options there. I can saee alal of them but not clicking them.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

A print screen would be helpful.

Are you using dropbox ( or similar syncing tool ? )

Cheers ... McBie

QUOTE Thanks
novik

Printscreen I can send you tmr morning because I left my comp at work.
And yes I use dropbox, and i was thinking about that. It was the same time i installed the office and the dropbox
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

Could it be that these 6 files were previously in a dropbox folder and then they were moved to the desktop ?
I am not a dropbox expert, but I have a feeling you might need UNIX expertise to fix this situation.
Wait a bit for a more experienced member to chime in and I am sure he can explain you some UNIX wizard stuff. -_-

Cheers ... McBie

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBie View Post
I am not a dropbox expert, but I have a feeling you might need UNIX expertise to fix this situation.
Wait a bit for a more experienced member to chime in and I am sure he can explain you some UNIX wizard stuff. -_-
That's my cue!

Unfortunately, that error message doesn't tell us much so let's get a sense of what the permissions are before we "Unix-ize" this solution. Take a screenshot of the info window and we'll go from there.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

My reason for saying UNIX skills might be required is that I believe Dropbox is owning these files and not OS X directly. If you can't do " Get Info " on a file, then something is overriding the OS behaviour ... .in my humble opinion.

But I may be totally wrong.

Cheers ... McBie

QUOTE Thanks
novik

I was thinking about this thing with the dropbox, and there is a chance to be from it. But why i have only 6 files that i can't delete when i have more in my dropbox folder? First thing i will try when i get to my comp will be to erase the file from dropbox directori, erase the dropbox application and i'll see if those files are still there and if that so can i delete them! As soon as i do that i will let you guys know.

Once again, thank you for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
novik

Guys,
I deleted the dropbox application with all files in the folder but this files are still here and driving me crazy!

Vansmith> what screenshot exactly you need?
After right click on any of the files, I see only what you see on the linked picture. 001.jpg - 4shared.com - photo sharing - download image

I can not click on any of this options!
QUOTE Thanks
novik

I FIXED IT!
it is from the dropbox!
I restarted my comp and they are not on the desktop anymore
I'll install the dropbox again to see what will happened!
QUOTE Thanks
novik

After fresh installation of dropbox i don't have this problem anymore!
I tried a few times with many files. Everything is just great
Thank you McBie you gave that idea!
Thank you too Vansmith!
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

Glad you solved it mate ... well done.

Cheers ... McBie

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac G5 - no OS and won't install. | Need help recovering files... »