New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

"What OS Disk Do I Need?" A Brief Overview

Thread Closed

RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

If you followed the directions to extract the OS from the installer DMG, then you have all you need to boot from and then install the OS.

EDIT: And probably wouldn't be a bad idea to update this Sticky since its now 2 versions behind.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
Fujitsu1522

Fujitsu1522 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Model Name: iMac Model Identifier: iMac12,2 Processor Name: Intel Core i5 Processor Speed: 2.7

I'm presuming then, with the backup on Pen drive, that might be a licence??and then it downloads off the Net, cheers, feel free to correct me, i get lazy sometime, as i suffer from a pain condition, which sometimes will not allow me to sit hours in one spot reading, ouch! hence, i might ask questions that there are answers for, but i'm so grateful, being a newbie an all...Thank You always goes a long way, so thanks!

Peter
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

The installer contains the complete OS (around 6GB if I remember correctly). If you have that, you don't need to pull anything else down from the internet to install. Obviously, you will need internet connect for updates.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
wfor1pilot

wfor1pilot is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro 6,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfor1pilot View Post
I recently purchase a MB Pro (2009) 2.8Ghz w/o the original (snow leopard) disks. I then up-graded (through apple store download) to Mountain Lion. My MB still shows files and folders of the previous owner (if I go to iTunes it still gives me his name as the primary d/l user). I'd like to do a complete re-install w/o his info in the notebook. Is there an easy way for me to do this w/o the original disks? Thanks, (Mac noob) -Davis
I just found a program that will let me migrate my "Mountain lion" install to a "thumb drive": C'est un peu court, Gète. » Lion DiskMaker (US)
Worked like a charm: I installed a 250Gb SSD and did a "clean install" of Mountain Lion on my MB Pro.
Thanks to all that "P.M." me w/ New to Mac ! -Davis
davestates

davestates is on a distinguished road

Great "clarifier"... thanks. I do have a question for "anyone"... Bought a used Imac for my daughter... wanted to simply "migrate" her stuff from her old Mac, esp. the music, etc. couldn't seem to make Migration Assistant work right, in desperation, I wiped out the content of the Imac.. planned to install from a OS X Leopard drop install disk. Discovered that what I thought was "start from scratch" install disk was actually an upgrade from OS X 4 disk... won't work of course. I then tried a Snow Leopard install disk. When I hold down the option key and start up, the screen shows two boxes... one with a 270° circle symbol, the other box shows only a right facing arrow... no words, no more action. I do have a cursor arrow, but it makes either box "blink" and no other action.
Help! Dave States
RavingMac

Assuming you have the Retail Snow Leopard Disk (White disk) and this is an older iMac 2010 model and older, then it is possible your install disk is scratched or dirty, or the DVD drive is dirty or failing (slot load drives have a high failure rate).

Try cleaning the disk and giving the drive a shot with some canned air (while it isn't running) and see if that helps.

EDIT: If you do post back for more help, please give us detailed specs on both Macs as that helps us help you

Air

Air is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: See Signature

Please update thread!!!!

[Main Laptop/Computer] [April 2006] 17" MacBook Pro | 2.33GHz C2D | 4GB DDR2 RAM | 120GB Intel 320 SSD | Lion 10.7.5
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air View Post
Please update thread!!!!
With what? Disks are dead.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Closing thread to avoid confusion. Please start a new thread related to a particular issue with OS X discs.

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Thread Closed

« Time Machine- how to size it | Finding all the video files on your computer? »