Macbook pro won't boot after OS reinstall
    Hello - I have been searching the web and can't find an instance of this problem. I have a macbook pro with 10.6.8, and it recently failed to boot, just stuck on the grey startup screen. I did all the things, repaired the disc, permissions, pram and so on, and finally installed the OS again right over the old installation. Did the update to 10.6.8. Computer runs fine, again repaired permissions, verified the disc. Used the computer for a day or so with no problems. On shutting down, it again won't boot up.

I have gone through this twice more with the same results. At this point I guess I need to either erase the disc, or get a new one. Is this an OS or hard drive problem?

Thanks
    Philip

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    I have gone through this twice more with the same results. At this point I guess I need to either erase the disc, or get a new one. Is this an OS or hard drive problem?
    It sounds like a failing hard drive. Make a backup of all your data the best way you can. (Time Machine is preferable.) After you have a good backup, replace the hard drive. Instructions for replacing it can be found on the ifixit web site at iFixit: The free repair manual. It's an easy do it yourself project.

OK, thanks. I hope you're right and I can preserve my installed software.

Philip

Well, I've put a new hard drive in it, restored the original OS from a firewire drive Time Machine backup. Same exact behavior. Everything runs fine until I shut down and try to reboot, which eventually results in a grey screen with the "prohibited" symbol in the middle.

The whole trouble started when I tried to set permissions for the main disc, and the process failed, whereon I had to reinstall the OS. I suppose this means now that I need to start with a fresh OS install? Argh.

Philip

Thread Information