New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Mount linux server on OSX 10.5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ferret147

ferret147 is on a distinguished road

I have tried a number of options for mounting my web server on my Mac so I can manually drag and drop files link I would do from my Ubuntu box but so far I have had very little luck. I have tried the connect to server option form the finder menu and also installed a few programms that say they can do this but they can not.

So anybody with a suggestion that works?

Literally all I want to do is be able to quickly add and get files from my web server.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Does the Linux server have Samba running? If so, you can use the "smb://<linux-server-ip-or-name>/<directory>" in the "Connect to Server" dialog to connect to the machine.

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

nfs mount is an option as well.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

There's also SSH (and using something like Cyberduck to connect over Sftp). Do you have SSH access to the box? If so, Sftp might be the easiest since it doesn't require any additional setup.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
ferret147

ferret147 is on a distinguished road

Cheers for the replies guys.

No I do not have Samba running but this could be a option.

nfs just hangs, SSH is the best way for me to connect as this is how I do it on my Linux box but using Cyber duck it connects, hangs for a few minutes then disconnects.

I just upgraded to Cyberduck 2 and I am getting connected but it times out every few minutes

Any advice on how to get a more stable connection?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

What kind of network setup do you have? Is it nice and simple (you're both behind the same router) or something more elaborate?

I'm surprised CD is hanging - it's been rock solid the bit I've used it. You could also try FileZilla.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« cannot add gmail to iMail | OSX Lion & Office for Mac 2011 go slow »