New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Will my iMac G4 run OS X 10.5?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AndiWhitts

AndiWhitts is on a distinguished road

I am new to mac and have just bought a G4, I will list the specs below. I would like to know if it will run OS X 10.5 and if there is a cheap upgrade as I own 10.4, or do I need to pay full price.

My specs are:

800mhz processor
512mb ram
60gb hdd

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Your Mac doesn't meet the requirements for 10.5. 10.4.11 is the highest for that Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

As "gsahli" mentioned...technically your computer does not meet the minimum requirements for OS 10.5. Officially from Apple...you need at least an 867mhz G4 processor (you have an 800mhz).

There is a program call "Leopard Assist"...that "fools" the OS 10.5 installer into installing 10.5 on slower computers:

LeopardAssist

You may not get the best OS 10.5 performance on a slower computer...but it will run.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Xyphus

Xyphus is on a distinguished road

Will LeopardAssist work to install 10.5 on an old iBook G3 @ 900MHz? Or is that just too far out of spec to even consider? It is running 10.4.11 currently. It has been sitting in my closet and rarely gets used. (The only thing I really use it for is to maintain my old iPod Nano). I bumped up the RAM to it's max of 640MB, put in an Airport card, and have an external FireWire DVD/RW. But there is only so much you can do with older hardware...
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

AndiWhitts:
You'll need to buy 10.5 - you can only use Black retail DVDs - not gray ones.

pigoo3: Thanks. Hadn't used it so didn't know about LeopardAssist.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyphus View Post
Will LeopardAssist work to install 10.5 on an old iBook G3 @ 900MHz? Or is that just too far out of spec to even consider? It is running 10.4.11 currently. It has been sitting in my closet and rarely gets used. (The only thing I really use it for is to maintain my old iPod Nano). I bumped up the RAM to it's max of 640MB, put in an Airport card, and have an external FireWire DVD/RW. But there is only so much you can do with older hardware...
I think that's asking too much. Even my older G4 is still running Tiger 10.4.11, but that's fine for what I want it to do

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyphus View Post
Leopard however will not run on the 900 MHz iBook G3 models even though they exceed the minimum 867 MHz requirement. This is due to the lack of AltiVec in the G3 line of processors and the fact that most pre-G4 and early G4 systems do not have video hardware capable of supporting Core Image, two technologies Leopard relies upon heavily, among others.

Source

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6 | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
Xyphus

Xyphus is on a distinguished road

I figured as much, but it was worth asking.

I have a late 2009 MacBook which has replaced the old iBook and has been serving me well, and can run an up-to-date OS, so I'm not lacking in support. I just feel bad that the old iBook is sitting unused in the closet.

I may try and re-purpose it as a starter computer for my mother. For browsing the web and sending/receiving email it should suit her well. Pending of course that I can actually even get her online. Being in her mid 60's and never having used a computer she is reluctant to even try.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Maintenance | Word 2011 freezes all the time on mbp lion »