New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Show Info crashes Finder.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sugoruyo

Hi all.

Sorry if this all has come up before.
When I'm looking at Finder items like desktop icons and try to get some info on 'em the Show Info command causes Finder to crash and restart. Can anyone shed some light?
QUOTE Thanks
lil

Have you tried to repair disk permissions with Disk Utility?

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
sugoruyo

yep. no luck. also deleted finder perfs from library. ran Yasu and MacJanitor. Cleaned caches by hand. Reset PRAM. Nothing. It just crashes. :?
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

You probably deleted the com.apple.finder.plist already, so try deleting the com.apple.desktop.plist.
QUOTE Thanks
sugoruyo

that won't work either.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mean to underestimate you or anything, but have you restarted the computer, right?
QUOTE Thanks
sugoruyo

yep
QUOTE Thanks
sugoruyo

Well just reset-nvram and still no luck. Anyone? I'm at a loss and I need to be able to see that info. It's rather time-critical.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

Do you have TinkerTool installed by chance?
QUOTE Thanks
sugoruyo

Tinkerwhat? what is that?
I suppose it has to do with tinkering under the tiger's hood. I've run Onyx once and checked out the options. Only tinkering I've done to Tiger is making the dock use the suck effect.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Since you have tried everything else, how about doing an Archive and Intstall and see if maybe something in the OS is damaged. If you use Archive and Intall you will not loose any of your settings or files. If it still does it, I wonder if it's your RAM? I have never had that problem here with either Panther or Tiger on any of my G4 Macs. I also have a Mini 1.25 GHZ. Do you get any other crashes or Kernal Panics at all? Just trying to figure this out for you.
QUOTE Thanks
sugoruyo

no kernel panics. other crashes included activity monitor not starting which came back on its own.
also something that is not fixed yet is the keyboard/mouse prefpane not coming up.

I was thinking of installing linux alongside tiger. i don't have an ilife disk though. will it install when i set the new tiger up?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

If you do an Archive and Install of Tiger everything you have installed now will be there and work. If you mean you do not even have iLife as yet, sure, install it later. Was not quite sure on your wording.
QUOTE Thanks
sugoruyo

I got the mini loaded with panther + ilife and upgraded to tiger from an upgrade dvd given to me in the package.
I have no ilife disc and i'm not sure it's in the os disc so i'm kinda wodnering if i format will i lose ilife?

also how much space does archive&install take? what does it save (or where do i get more info on that?)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Getting a file to run at a certain time... | Automator and Mail »