Specs:
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    How to disable requirement to enter password
    I was fooling around with different methods of taking screen shots and some combination of keys that I tried turned on a requirement to enter my password when dragging any file to the trash.

I've made sure that none of my files are locked. They are not, never were, and that's not the problem.

I verified/repaired permissions using Disk Utility in my Apps>Utilities folder and also via Lion Recovery (restart, hold Command+R). Did not solve my problem.

Made sure that I have Read/Write privileges for all files using Command+I. I'm using administrator account (always have) and nothing's changed there. Not the solution.

So I'm out of ideas. I've read a few things via Google searches about different commands in terminal, but they don't really sound like my exact issue. I can drag to trash and even empty trash, but it just requires my password every time. It's annoying and never done this before so I'm certain that it has to do with my playing around with shift+command+various keys.

Any ideas?
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    I'm not sure what you've done but it sounds as if the permissions to the Trash folder itself has been changed. By default, the trash folder for each user has "700" permissions (that's Unix notation). Let's first of all check the permissions on that folder. Open up Terminal and type the following:
    Code:
    ls -la | grep ~/.Trash
    You should get something very similar to the following:
    Code:
    drwx------    4 vansmith  staff    136  1 Jan 19:13 .Trash
    We're interested in the first column (the drwx------). That tells us what the permissions are. The d at the beginning tells us that we're dealing with a directory. The nine characters after it can be broken down into three groups. The first three characters represent your permissions (in this case, you have read (r), write (w) and execute (x) permissions), the second three are group permissions and the final three are "other." As you can tell, we're interested in the first three.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Sounds to me like he accidentally turned on Secure Trash.

Specs:
    [QUOTE=vansmith;1348531]I'm not sure what you've done but it sounds as if the permissions to the Trash folder itself has been changed. By default, the trash folder for each user has "700" permissions (that's Unix notation). Let's first of all check the permissions on that folder. Open up Terminal and type the following:
    Code:
    ls -la | grep ~/.Trash
    Didn't work. No results, nothing. Just a new line with the name of my MBP.

Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    Sounds to me like he accidentally turned on Secure Trash.
    In Finder>Preferences, Empty Trash Securely is not checked.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    When in doubt, the first place I'd look is Parental Controls and Universal Access.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    When in doubt, the first place I'd look is Parental Controls and Universal Access.
    Yeah, I've poked around in all those areas and still can't figure it out.

I'm probably going to just go back to my last Time Machine backup (about a week ago).

Specs:
    Whoops, my mistake. You need to run this from your home directory in Terminal (it defaults here so you don't have to change dirs):
    Code:
    ls -la | grep .Trash
    I should have realized that the first one I gave you wouldn't work (I won't get into the details unless you'd like them).
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    Whoops, my mistake. You need to run this from your home directory in Terminal (it defaults here so you don't have to change dirs):
    Code:
    ls -la | grep .Trash
    I should have realized that the first one I gave you wouldn't work (I won't get into the details unless you'd like them).
    Ok, thanks for that.

This is what I got when I typed that command in Terminal:

drwx------ 6 root staff 204 Dec 29 21:09 .Trash

What is answer to problem
    Quote Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
    Ok, thanks for that.

This is what I got when I typed that command in Terminal:
    Same problem; this is what I got
    drwx------ 20 root staff 680 Jul 19 07:51 .Trash

So what is answer? How do I get my mac to stop asking for a password everytime i trash something?

Specs:
    Execute the following:
    Code:
    sudo chown <username> .Trash/
    Replace <username> with your user name (if you don't know what that is, execute whoami). When prompted, enter your password and press enter.
    Writing a Quality Post

Awesome, That worked, Thank you!

Variation on the trash problem
    Hi, all. My first post on Mac forum. I was brought here with the same issue, trying to delete a ton of RAW photo files that were not needed and ran into the same of having to put a name and password in. I checked around the web and eventually landed here. I tried everything that was suggested, but kept getting "<myname> is not in the sudoer folder. The incident will be reported." The computer I use is owned by my company, but with tech support as the admin. Because I use my laptop so much (and am well versed in writing language and keeping my computer update to date on all problems) they let me have the admin name and password. But, they asked that when I log in, to use the "Standard" login, not the admin one. Well, a light went off in my head. I changed my permission to "Administrator" in the "Users and Groups," restarted the computer. I then went back to the Terminal program, tried your fix for the problem, and voila, it worked! So, it seems not to work unless you have administration powers, or, at least that is how it finally worked for me. I just thought some future readers with the same problem would want to know. MANY THANKS for the fix!

Thread Information