New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Slow running macbook pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Great bear 0706

Great bear 0706 is on a distinguished road

I have a 2 year old MacBook Pro. I get the beach ball a lot (especially when accessing the internet), it is VERY slow - even when running 1 application, if I have 1 item in the trash can to delete, it tells me it is deleting 3 items.
I have had it to the Genius Bar - they found nothing wrong with it, but the performance is so bad I cannot believe that this is what can be expected from a 2 year old machine.
I have installed MacKeeper to keep it clean and in good working order, my spec is 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo and memory of 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3. My hard disk is 250GB and have FREE 25GB. All software is up-to-date.

Any suggestions to get my machine running much faster?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

MacKeeper is a fraud and can cause the kinds of issues you're seeking to correct. I would recommend uninstalling it immediately.

25GB of 250GB is only 10%, generally you want to have about 20% free disk space on your system partition. So, you may want to consider upgrading to a 500GB drive - that may do the trick in and of itself.

What I would recommend for now is to follow the steps in this blog article as a start. When you've gotten through with them, let us know how it went and whether the problem persists.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Also, I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Great bear 0706

Great bear 0706 is on a distinguished road

Many thanks cwa107, I'll check the blog and see if this improves things. Thanks also for re-directing the thread - new to the website and still becoming familiar with the correct forums etc.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Syncing contacts | Wiped Hard Drive, now can't install Lion »