New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Disk format utility

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dark Matter

Dark Matter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0 Ghz, 2 gigs RAM, 160 gig H.D.

Hi,
I'm wondered if anyone knew of a utility I could get a hold of that would format an external hard drive for me.
I just can't seem to get OS/Xs' Disk Utility to do it.
I have a Western Digital 80 gig hard drive that was previously in a PC as a backup drive and has since been replaced with a larger drive.
Anyway, I used Partition Magic on the PC to format the drive to fat32 and it works fine in an external enclosure with my Powerbook.
But I'd like to use the drive with hfs+. I can't seem to get disk utility to do it. It just goes on forever and ever and eventually I just stop the program (maybe I'm doing it wrong).
Any other 3rd party utilities out there that can format a drive to hfs+?
QUOTE Thanks
lil

I'm not sure what you are doing but Disk utility is the program to do it, it depends what kind of format you are doing.

If you set it to zero all sectors, then it will take a long time. This will be set in security options, and indeed turned off in that.

I'm assuming it shows up on the left hand listview in Disk utility when connected?

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help Please please | Tiger install CDs »